FLP 9: Journey 2050 Exploration
This course will take the teachers on a virtual simulation that explores world food sustainability. Journey 2050 is an online simulation that will allow educators to make decisions on a virtual farm and witness their impact on society, the environment and the economy at a local and global scale. Teachers to explore and understand the core question, “How will we sustainably feed 9 billion people by the year 2050?” They will complete their own online Journey 2050 module and a career exploration lesson with students during the course. The lessons introduce and utilize the 5E Instruction Model: Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate. https://nasaeclips.arc.nasa.gov/teachertoolbox/the5e The lessons are aligned in multiple content areas: language arts, science, health, art, consumer education, mathematics, social studies, geography, and more. The information will be given as an online correspondence course.
1. Understand the core question, “How will we sustainably feed 9 billion people by the year 2050?” Describe population growth, explain sustainable and the ripple effect. Understand the role of food waste in our world.
2. Identify the primary soil nutrients necessary for the production of abundant and healthy food. Discover how plant health impacts the plant’s ability to resist disease and pests.
3. Develop an understanding of the limited amount of fresh water on earth and the need for conservation and protection related to population growth and agriculture.
4. Learn about the relationship between a sustainable economy and the environment. Understand the ripple effect from production agriculture and its effect on local and global economies.
5. Identify and use learning activities to gain perspectives regarding the connections of food, land, and people.
6. Use online career exploration tools to help students identify personal interests and explore related careers that can impact world food needs.
All materials provided electronically via Google Classroom