Children’s Literature/Newbery 2019, Gr 4-7
This course will cover fiction material that is targeted for high-level students from 4th-7th grade. Individuals participating in this course will read the books recognized for the Newbery Award in 2019. This will provide exposure to three fiction books. Participants will be required to complete comprehension assessments as well as engage with weekly online discussions. The assignments will provide participants a chance to draw from previous experiences, critical thinking, current events, and the critiquing of literature.
Throughout the course participants will:
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw from personal experience, critique and compare novels in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in discussions regarding the books.
- Complete three Newbery books from 2019.
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina (9978-0763690496)
- The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani (978-0735228511)
- The Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (978-0062686206)
"It was a great way to read and discuss new books."
"It is beneficial for what I teach."
"Being able to connect the course with things from my own life was very valuable."
"I enjoyed the discussion questions and being able to share with other people in the class."