The purpose of this workshop is to provide training to adults who work with youth. The attendees will learn how to promote healthy sexuality and relationships among the youth they serve. This workshop will focus on positive youth development, adolescent sexual risk behaviors, and the importance of communication between youth and trusted adults. This workshop will highlight the importance of creating a supportive environment in an educational setting to approach topics of teenage pregnancy, bullying, and inclusivity. Specifically, we will cover topics such as consent, healthy relationships, sexual orientation & gender identity, the effects of social media on adolescents, body image and violence. Attendees will also have a chance to practice answering questions that youth might have about sexuality. Upon completion of this program, teachers will have tools to create a supportive environment for students to encourage school attendance and participation.
Upon completion of this class, participants will be able to:
- Describe current trends in teen pregnancy and dating;
- Explain key components to reducing risks of unplanned pregnancy and STIs among teen;
- Identify various aspects of holistic sexuality and how they impact sexual decision-making;
- Explore their own values related to sexuality and determine how to communicate to students about sexual health free from personal bias and judgment with respect for diversity;
- Identify warning signs of unhealthy relationships in teen dating and support to youth in unhealthy relationships;
- Be able to provide links and access to specialized school and community resources for youth when necessary;
- Utilize motivational interviewing techniques in discussions with adolescents regarding decision making;
- Work collaboratively and creatively with other professionals to foster students’ self-esteem, motivation, and healthy sexual and relationship choices;
- Understand healthy youth development and how to answer questions from youth.
"Wonderful workshop leader and assistants, great variety of discussion/activities/videos."
"This was an excellent workshop."
"Wonderful resources provided."
"Materials & venue were excellent as was the presentation."
"This was a great course! I wish more of my colleagues would have taken it with me. I think the topic is very relevant even for teachers not actually teaching sex ed. I took the class just to get a better idea of what is out there and to start thinking about outside of my 'norm' and it was perfect!"