The Novel Experience, Part 1
Throughout the four weeks of this course, participants will create a “Novel Experience” that includes authentic student experiences with the 21st Century Skills of collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking linked to the theme(s) of the novel. Participants will share ideas and give feedback to others through weekly online discussions. Participants will create a final assessment for students to reflect on their understanding of the 4C’s.
Variance of Parts 1, 2, and 3:
Each course, The Novel Experience Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 all vary in outcomes as the discussion questions pertain to the current novel, picture books, or articles chosen by the participant. The work produced, discussions, and assessments for each Part (1, 2 or 3) produces entirely different results as the themes of the selected reading change with each course. The weekly readings may be similar in nature; however, the guiding questions for each Part (1, 2, or 3) discussion are entirely different.
- Identify a novel appropriate for their curriculum/age range of students.
- Design authentic 21st Century Skill activities connecting to the theme of the novel.
- Focus each week on a different 4C skill (collaboration, creativity, communication, critical thinking) through online readings and discussions questions.
- Reflect upon other participants discussion question answers.
- Create a final assessment for their “Novel Experience” that assesses student understanding of the 4C’s.
- Primary Teacher (K-2): various picture books or easy reader novel(s) selected by participant
- Intermediate Teacher (3-5): novel selected by participant
- Middle School (6-8): novel selected by participant
- High School (9-12): novel selected by participant