Current Trends: Fitness/Health
This course is designed to learn about a variety of fitness topics. Combining the latest research with sound medical advice and including aerobic fitness, flexibility, strength and nutrition. Students will have the opportunity to listen to expert presenters from areas of individual fitness, healthy living and nutrition. In this course students will be asked to reflect upon and compare theoretical and pedagogical perspectives of multiple experts. The reflection will help students better understand the relationships between improved health and improved fitness.
As a result of participation in this course, students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast past fitness regimes to the latest regimes.
- Apply new knowledge when creating personal nutritional programs.
- Learn about health concerns involving nutritional supplements.
- Analyze elements from differing strength training philosophies.
- Analyze current fitness strategies to incorporate aspects into personal fitness program.
- Evaluate a variety of the latest nutritional strategies
- Gain techniques and strategies, including healthy eating and caloric intake awareness/analysis, to help improve their students’ nutritional and lifestyle choices.
- Explore a variety of warm-up/cool-down techniques using flexibility training protocols
The approach to be used for meeting the course objectives is a combination of reading assignments, class participation, lecture discussion, and independent work.
The required reading is found in the following text:
- Bushman, B. (2011). Complete Guide to Fitness & Health, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Participants will complete the following reading assignments to achieve the course objectives. Reading assignments will be evaluated on accuracy of information and completeness of assignment.