Children’s Literature YA Science Fiction & Fantasy
This course will cover Science Fiction written specifically for young adults. All of the books have received multiple awards and are classics in the genre. Throughout the course, participants will obtain a deeper understanding and appreciation for Science Fiction. This course will go past spaceships and lasers and explore how authors use Science Fiction to examine the human condition and illuminate the struggles that humanity continues to engage in. Teachers will read new books and explore how they can be used in the classroom.
Throughout the course participants will:
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw from personal experience, critique and compare novels in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in discussions regarding the books.
- Complete three Science Fiction & Fantasy Books for Young Adults.
"Loved the freedom to read and work at my own pace."
"The text selection was excellent! It offered teachers a wide range of styles and themes. All three represent the best in this genre."
"The discussions on the novels were good in seeing other perspectives and connections with the same material."
"Excellent books - awesome for language arts teachers!"
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (978-0763660659)
- House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (978-0689852237)
- Scythe by Neal Shusterman (978-1442472433)