Classroom Management/School Counselors
This course will offer current teaching practices and classroom management techniques to aid in working with students in a variety of settings. The course will cover the topics of: Teaching with Love and Logic principles, ENVoY, CPS Collaborative Problem Solving, Positive Behavior Supports (PBIS), MTSS-B, and how to use a variety of techniques in small groups and classroom guidance to make your lessons memorable and keep students engaged. To be included, but not limited to: books, video clips, music, props, puppets, attention getters, movement, mindfulness, non -verbal signals, behavior correction, activities, games, yoga- body control, brain breaks, turn and talks, and Kagan cooperative strategies.
- Basic speech skills will be covered to aid in guidance lesson presentations or to ease speaking in front of the staff or entire school at assemblies.
- Increased student knowledge and practice in multiple classroom management techniques.
- Students will have an opportunity to practice, role play, and learn from each other.
- Students will create their own classroom management plan that best fits their style and personality to be put into action in a classroom guidance lesson plan.
Recommended resources and readings for continued professional growth:
- Kagan Cooperative Learning Structures by Dr. Spencer Kagan
- Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim and Dr. Charles Fay and David Funk
- ENVoY by Michael Grinder
- Lost at School Collaborative Problem Solving CPS by Dr. Ross Green
- Nurtured Heart Approach – Dr. Howard Glasser
- How to be an effective teacher The First Days of School by Harry Wong
- Tools for Teaching by Dr. Fred Jones
- The 5 Love Languages for Children by Gary Chapman