Plenty of experts argue that anyone who wants to develop a skill should start early, focus intensely, and gain as many hours of deliberate practice as possible. A closer look at research on top performers shows that early specialization is the exception, not the rule.
- identify and discuss the meaning of grit in relation to success in physical education and sport settings.
- gain an understanding of grit and its importance to their future.
- understand “growth mindset”, “self-efficacy”, “learned helplessness”, “expectancy”, and “mental toughness”.
- know how to be cognitively flexible, promoting openness to new ideas and creative thinking.
- apply grit competencies at work by intergrating these concepts into a personal reflection paper.
Epstein, D. (2019). Range: Why Generalists Triump in a Specialized World. Riverhead Books, New York.