School Violence Prevention - My Lake: A Survivor’s Story + School Safety
Unlike other workshops that focus on reacting to a violent event, these workshops will give you the tools to reduce your risk of violence through proper planning and prevention techniques.
1:00 - 3:00 p.m. -- Missy Dodds is a former high school math teacher and survivor of the Red Lake School Shooting. In March 2005, a former student shot his way into her classroom. He killed a co-worker and five of her students before taking his own life. During this session, Missy will share her journey of the past 14 years and the ways she is learning to help schools become safer.
3:00 - 5:00 p.m. -- Missy’s powerful presentation will be followed by a roundtable discussion featuring Missy; Don Moseman, NDSC Master Trainer and school safety expert; law enforcement; and school representatives. During this discussion, hear common safety concerns found in ND districts; innovative safety solutions for districts large and small; lessons learned from past violent events; and insights from area school administrators. This roundtable will also include an open forum Q&A session for additional audience questions.
- Hear common safety concerns found in ND districts;
- Innovative safety solutions for districts large and small;
- Lessons learned from past violent events;
- Insights from area school administrators;
- This roundtable will also include an open forum Q & A session for additional audience questions.