Middle School Philosophy and Curriculum
This course provides educational foundations for middle schools, essential to meeting young adolescent needs and improving their learning. Identifies and expands central ideas in philosophy, historical background, curriculum, facilitating learning, organizational structures and practices, assessment, and planning.
- Describe the influence of adolescent development and societal trends on middle level education.
- Investigate and evaluate the historical roots and trends and current issues in middle level education on both a national and local scale.
- Articulate a sound personal educational philosophy which meets the developmental needs of young adolescents in a changing society.
- Explain the major elements—both design and rationale—of the middle school concept and how these elements are introduced, established, and supported in the middle school.
- Explore curriculum-related concepts including integrated, thematic units; curriculum mapping; and teaming.
1. This We Believe: Keys to Educating Young Adolescent
Author: National Middle School Association
Publisher: AMLE 2010*
2. Introduction to Middle School
Author: Sara Davis Powell
Publisher: Allyn and Bacon, 2010
0R 3rd Edition (2015) ISBN: 9780133752434 (recommended)
Books can be ordered from Amazon.com.