Nurtured Heart Approach
The Nurtured Heart Approach is a social emotional curriculum which will transform any relationship in a person’s life. By investing one’s energy in the present moment and in a positive manner one will actually enhance the inner wealth or portfolio of each individual resulting in a shift in behavior and self- concept.
- The educator will understand that a child’s behavior can be changed by noticing and creating successes for the child. A strong positive reaction to desired behavior as well as a neutral reaction to unwanted behavior will foster a change in the child’s attitude and actions. In addition the child’s inner wealth will be developed and strengthened resulting in a desire to achieve even more.
- The educator will gain increased awareness of his/her own approach and beliefs regarding behavior change.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Through reading, class discussion, practical application, role playing and journaling, students will:
- Understand the basic premises of The Nurtured Heart Approach.
- Understand the process of replacing a student’s negative portfolio with a positive one, in order to foster success and self worth.
- Acquire the skills related to using The Nurtured Heart Approach strategies and concepts and apply them in the classroom.
- Gain an understanding of the difference between creating successes for challenging children and emphasizing their failures.
- Learn the process of instilling values and following rules by recognizing a child’s positive actions.
"This was definitely 2 days well spent. The instructor was organized, professional & demonstrated throughout the course that she practices what she preaches."
"Learned a lot in 2 days - I will bring this approach into my classroom."
"Great information/concept - well prepared - good activities."
"The instructor did an excellent job preparing & delivering this course; it was challenging and it will be a boost for my teaching as I begin the school year."
"Instructor was clearly prepared and believes strongly in the Nurtured Heart Approach to teaching. She provided concise examples of theory in class and utilized creative drama effectively with students in several location areas. She stopped lecture several times to entertain and answer individual student questions. She modelled use of the teaching approach with students in class."
"I loved all of the information and techniques that we learned. I am excited to try it in my classroom."