NDSU Distance & Continuing Education (DCE)

Bringing Education to You


Q: How do I drop a DCE course?

Dropping a Class

Dropping a Class occurs when a student wishes to discontinue enrollment in a particular course, but wants to continue taking classes during the semester.  If you wish to drop the only class you are enrolled in you must withdraw from the university.  DCE follows the standard university academic deadlines, policies and procedures for course drops, refunds and withdrawals.  You will not be automatically dropped from a class for non-attendance or non-participation.


**Note: Dropping a class may have an impact on your financial aid. Before dropping a class, please contact Student Financial Services to see if the change in course credits will affect your financial aid award. Also, see the Dropping vs. Withdrawing page for information on refunds of tuition and fees.


To Drop a Class

  1. Log on to Campus Connection
  2. In the left navigation menu, click "Enrollment > Enrollment: Add Class".
  3. Select the checkbox for the class you wish to drop.
  4. Click "Drop Selected Classes".
  5. Verify the course(s) you wish to drop and click "Finish Dropping".
  6. Watch for "Success or Error" messages
  7. *(Note: Courses with errors are not removed from your schedule.)


Additional Options

Students are encouraged to use Campus Connection as the primary method of making registration changes (adding or dropping classes). In the event of Campus Connection downtime or instances when assistance is needed, a paper version of the "Change in Registration Form" can be obtained and completed at the Office of Registration and Records, 110 Ceres Hall.


Dropping Your Only Class/Withdrawing From the University

Students who have registered and then wish to drop their only class after the semester start date must officially withdraw from the university. Failure to initiate the withdrawal process may result in "F" grades and financial obligations that otherwise might be avoided.

  1. Read and complete the Withdrawing to Zero Credits form.
  2. Contact the Counseling Center or Disability Services if assistance is needed in addressing academic, personal, financial, or other concerns.
  3. Withdrawal forms are to be submitted to Bison Connection, Memorial Union.
  4. Students are responsible for any unpaid bills at the time of withdrawal.
  5. Withdrawal forms must be submitted by the published deadline of the semester. Withdrawals after this date will not be processed without evidence of a compelling reason or circumstances beyond the student's control. Courses already completed at the time of withdrawal from a term will be withdrawn as well. Students should not attempt to drop all of their courses, their last course or their only course online. Unlike refunds for individual course drops, withdrawal refunds are prorated and are based on complete withdrawals and withdrawal dates.