Lifetime Fitness 2018
Instructor: Robert Knutson
Monday, June 25, 2018 - Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Meet 8:00 am - 5:00 pm both days + remainder of class online; completion August 30, 2018
Instruction Mode: Combination
Location: Lifetime Fitness Center, 1200 E. Moore Lake Drive, Fridley, MN
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $300
The intent of this course is to provide the students with the cutting edge training philosophies, fitness activities and training modalities available held at Lifetime Fitness Club. Fitness experts will be assisting the students in developing an individual fitness plan. The students may also participate in a health/fitness assessment to help them evaluate their current fitness levels. Many of the topics and activities reflect the most recent advances in fitness and strength training. As learners, the students will be challenged to identify what fitness strategies and activities will work best for their individual lifestyle and fitness goals.
As a result of participation in this course, students should:
- assess and analyze their fitness levels in the area of muscle strength and endurance, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility and body composition.
- learn how to use a variety of strength training equipment and evaluate which strength exercises are best for their individual needs.
- understand how to use a variety of cardio machines.
- analyze Borg's perceived exertion rating scale.
- learn the skills and rules to play racketball, walleyball and squash court sports.
- evaluate aerobic fitness activities such as spin biking, interval training and cardio kick boxing.
- perform basic pilates exercises.
- create a personal fitness plan for themselves.
- gain techniques and strategies to help improve their students fitness levels.
The required reading is found in the following text:
Corbin,C. (2007). Fitness for Life, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
About The InstructorRobert Knutson
Robert Knutson received his M.A. & B.A. from Hamline University. In 1997, he won the Minnesota Physical Education Teacher of the Year Award. Robert comes with 38 years teaching physical education and coaching in the high school and college levels.