Children’s Literature/Newbery, Gr 4-7
Instructor: Duane Arnold
Monday, July 16, 2018 - Sunday, August 26, 2018
Course completion August 31, 2018
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $80
This course will cover fiction material that is targeted for high-level students from 4th-7th grade. Individuals participating in this course will read the books recognized for the Newbery Award in 2018. This will provide exposure to three realistic fiction books. Participants will be required to complete comprehension assessments as well as engage with weekly online discussions. The assignments will provide participants a chance to draw from previous experiences, critical thinking, current events, and the critiquing of literature.
Throughout the course participants will:
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw from personal experience, critique and compare novels in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in discussions regarding the books.
- Complete three Newbery books from 2018.
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- Hello Universe by Kelly Erin (978-0062414151)
- Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds (978-1481438254)
- Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson (978-1681191058)
About The Instructor
Duane earned his BA in Elementary Education from Trinity Bible College and his MA from VCSU in Education and Library Sciences. He has worked for 4 years as a Learning Resource Strategist in Moorhead Area Public Schools at Robert Asp Elementary and has spent over 8 years in Education in Moorhead, Fargo, and West Fargo. He serves on the Star of the North Minnesota Book Award Panel.