Children’s Literature/Picture Book, Gr K-4
Instructor: Duane Arnold
Monday, November 05, 2018 - Monday, December 17, 2018
Course completion December 21, 2018
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $80
This course will cover a vast number of picture books that are written mostly for students K-4. All of the books have been highly reviewed and most have been written within the last 5 years. The goal of this course is to provide participants with a vast selection of books with purposes ranging from informing and building character to problem solving and having fun. In the end, participants will be exposed to a large number of current picture books and authors.
Throughout the course participants will
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw from personal experience, and critique and compare picture books in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in discussions regarding the books.
- Complete three award-winning novels.
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- Gravity by Jason Chin 978-1596437173
- One Plastic Bag by Miranda Paul 978-1467716086
- Brave Girl by Michelle Markel 978-0061804427
- Journey by Aaron Becker 978-0763660536
- Fox’s Garden by Princesse Camcam 978-1592701674
- Flotsam by David Weisner 978-0618194575
- Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret by Bob Shea 978-1484713785
- The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone 978-0307010858
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems 978-0786819881
- Beekle by Dan Santat 978-0316199988
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen 978-0763655983
- They All Saw A Cat by Brendan Wenzel 978-1452150130
- After the Fall by Dan Santat 978-1626726826
- What Do You Do with an Idea Kobi Yamada 978-1938298073
- My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook 978-1931636858
- The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak 978-0803741713
- Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Marc Barnett 978-0763662295
- This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers 978-0399161032
"The most valuable part of the course was being introduced to children's literature I was not familiar with."
"I liked the course material and the discussion with classmates. It got my mind thinking and figuring out ways I could use the materials in my classroom."
"It was fun to read the books and find new resources to use in the classroom."
About The Instructor
Duane earned his BA in Elementary Education from Trinity Bible College and his MA from VCSU in Education and Library Sciences. He has worked for 4 years as a Learning Resource Strategist in Moorhead Area Public Schools at Robert Asp Elementary and has spent over 8 years in Education in Moorhead, Fargo, and West Fargo. He serves on the Star of the North Minnesota Book Award Panel.
The registration URL will close October 31, 2018 @ 5:00 p.m.