Children’s Literature/Picture Book, Gr K-4
Instructor: Duane Arnold
Monday, June 18, 2018 - Sunday, July 29, 2018
Course completion August 3, 2018
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $80
This course will cover a vast number of picture books that are written mostly for students K-4. All of the books have been highly reviewed and most have been written within the last 5 years. The goal of this course is to provide participants with a vast selection of books with purposes ranging from informing and building character to problem solving and having fun. In the end, participants will be exposed to a large number of current picture books and authors.
Throughout the course participants will
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw from personal experience, and critique and compare picture books in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in discussions regarding the books.
- Complete three award-winning novels.
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- Gravity by Jason Chin 978-1596437173
- One Plastic Bag by Miranda Paul 978-1467716086
- Brave Girl by Michelle Markel 978-0061804427
- Journey by Aaron Becker 978-0763660536
- Fox’s Garden by Princesse Camcam 978-1592701674
- Flotsam by David Weisner 978-0618194575
- Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret by Bob Shea 978-1484713785
- The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone 978-0307010858
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems 978-0786819881
- Beekle by Dan Santat 978-0316199988
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen 978-0763655983
- They All Saw A Cat by Brendan Wenzel 978-1452150130
- After the Fall by Dan Santat 978-1626726826
- What Do You Do with an Idea Kobi Yamada 978-1938298073
- My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook 978-1931636858
- The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak 978-0803741713
- Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Marc Barnett 978-0763662295
- This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers 978-0399161032
About The Instructor
Duane earned his BA in Elementary Education from Trinity Bible College and his MA from VCSU in Education and Library Sciences. He has worked for 4 years as a Learning Resource Strategist in Moorhead Area Public Schools at Robert Asp Elementary and has spent over 8 years in Education in Moorhead, Fargo, and West Fargo. He serves on the Star of the North Minnesota Book Award Panel.