Children’s Literature/Adv Graphic, Gr 8-12
Instructor: Duane Arnold
Monday, June 18, 2018 - Sunday, July 29, 2018
Course completion August 3, 2018
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $80
This course will cover graphic novels (comics) and will be targeted at instructors at the high school grade level. Individuals enrolled in the program will read a wide range of graphic novels covering biographies and fantasy. The assignments will allow participants to reflect on what they learn about graphic novels, draw correlations to what they are doing in the classroom, and reflect on past experiences. Students will engage in online conversation weekly with other participants.
Throughout the course participants will:
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw parallels between the literature and historical events, draw from personal experience, critique and compare graphic novels in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in weekly discussions regarding the books.
- Complete 3 graphic novels.
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- The Sculptor by Scott McCloud (978-1596435735)
- The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (978-0375714832)
- Death Note Black Edition Volume 1 by Tsugumi Ohba (978-1421539645)
About The Instructor
Duane earned his BA in Elementary Education from Trinity Bible College and his MA from VCSU in Education and Library Sciences. He has worked for 4 years as a Learning Resource Strategist in Moorhead Area Public Schools at Robert Asp Elementary and has spent over 8 years in Education in Moorhead, Fargo, and West Fargo. He serves on the Star of the North Minnesota Book Award Panel.