The Power of Poetry
Instructor: Kaley Mari
Monday, June 04, 2018 - Friday, June 29, 2018
With course completion July 6, 2018
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $80
Participants in this class will become familiar with many poets and the poems they write. They will examine the new North Dakota ELA and Literacy Standards (April 2017), and determine ways that these standards can be met through the use of poetry. Participants will write centers and activities that incorporate poetry. They will write and share poems that they have written.
- become familiar with many poems and the poets that write them.
- examine the North Dakota ELA and Literacy Standards.
- write poetry reflections.
- write their own poetry.
- compare and contrast different poems and poets.
- create a personal poetry anthology.
- examine different websites that contain information on poets and the poems they write, as well as suggestions for use in the classroom
- 101 Famous Poems by Roy J. Cook (compiler)
- A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (Special Edition, 2009)
- Poetry for Young People by Maya Angelou
About The Instructor
Kaley Mari received her M.A. in Reading from Moorhead State University and a B.S. in Elementary Education from Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn. Kaley previously taught second grade at Centennial Elementary and Bennett Elementary in Fargo, served as interim director of Teacher Center in Fargo, and has been nominated for Fargo Public Schools Teacher of Year award twice! Kaley is an Assistant Professor for Valley City State University.