The Novel Experience, Part 1
Instructor: Rob Arneson
Sunday, October 07, 2018 - Sunday, November 04, 2018
Course completion November 4, 2018
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $80
Throughout the four weeks of this course, participants will create a “Novel Experience” that includes authentic student experiences with the 21st Century Skills of collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking linked to the theme(s) of the novel. Participants will share ideas and give feedback to others through weekly online discussions. Participants will create a final assessment for students to reflect on their understanding of the 4C’s.
- Identify a novel appropriate for their curriculum/age range of students.
- Design authentic 21st Century Skill activities connecting to the theme of the novel.
- Focus each week on a different 4C skill (collaboration, creativity, communication, critical thinking) through online readings and discussions questions.
- Reflect upon other participants discussion question answers.
- Create a final assessment for their “Novel Experience” that assesses student understanding of the 4C’s.
- Primary Teacher (K-2): various picture books or easy reader novel(s) selected by participant
- Intermediate Teacher (3-5): novel selected by participant
- Middle School (6-8): novel selected by participant
- High School (9-12): novel selected by participant
About The Instructor
Rob received his M.A. from University of St. Thomas majoring in Curriculum & Instruction K-12 and earned his B.A. from Jamestown College majoring in Elementary Education. Rob has received many awards including the Carl Ben Eielson High Flyer Award (2016), Educator of the Year - Metro Area Mayors Committee (2012) and the ND Reading Association Celebrate Literacy Award (2009). Rob has 23+ years teaching experience.