Children’s Literature/Adv Graphic, Gr 8-12
Instructor: Duane Arnold
Monday, October 05, 2020 - Sunday, November 29, 2020
Course completion November 29, 2020
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Available Seats: 40 of 40
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $160
This course will cover graphic novels (comics) and will be targeted at instructors at the high school grade level. Individuals enrolled in the program will read a wide range of graphic novels covering biographies and fantasy. The assignments will allow participants to reflect on what they learn about graphic novels, draw correlations to what they are doing in the classroom, and reflect on past experiences. Students will engage in online conversation weekly with other participants.
Throughout the course participants will:
- Read and critique books to gain a greater knowledge of literature, draw parallels between the literature and historical events, draw from personal experience, critique and compare graphic novels in terms of quality and content.
- Complete online assessments.
- Engage in weekly discussions regarding the books.
- Complete 10 graphic novels.
"I really enjoyed the discussions with the other students in this course. Some discussions were eye-opening for me."
"I was able to see the benefit of using graphic novels in my special education classroom, especially for dyslexic and ASD students."
"It's a great way to keep up-to-date with literature - excellent course."
You will be able to locate the following texts at school and public libraries, local bookstores, and online.
- Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (978-0060976255)
- The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (978-0375714832)
- The Sculptor by Scott McCloud (978-1596435735)
- Death Note Black Edition Volume 1 by Tsugumi Ohba (978-1421539645)
- The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (978-0679406419)
- Monstress 1: Awakening by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (978-1632157096)
- Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez (978-1600103841)
- Miss Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona (978-0785190219)
- Digger: Chapters 1 and 2 by Ursula Vernon (Webcomic) http://diggercomic.com
- Seconds: A Graphic Novel by Bryan Lee O’Malley (978-0345529374)
The content in this course was designed with High School students in mind. Since this is the case, mature themes and imagery will be present in some of the Graphic Novels. Please do not register for this class if you are concerned that you will be offended.
About The Instructor
Duane earned his BA in Elementary Education from Trinity Bible College and his MA from VCSU in Education and Library Sciences. He has worked for 4 years as a Learning Resource Strategist in Moorhead Area Public Schools at Robert Asp Elementary and has spent over 8 years in Education in Moorhead, Fargo, and West Fargo. He serves on the Star of the North Minnesota Book Award Panel.