Secrets of Exceptional Counselors
Instructor: Joan Copenhaver
Grading: Letter and/or S/U
Wednesday, December 01, 2021 - Saturday, January 15, 2022
Course completion: January 21, 2022
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $75
In this book study, trade secrets of accomplished practitioners within the field of counseling are reviewed. New practitioners and veterans will find innovative ways to remain fresh and engaged with clients/students. The assignments will provide an opportunity to reflect upon the skills identified in the book, and then apply them to the book study participant’s personal counseling setting.
Students who complete this course successfully will be able to:
- Become aware of new methods, innovations, and practical tips regarding counseling skills.
- Utilize the knowledge gained from the text, and apply it to their own individual counseling profession.
- Recognize and self-reflect on personal counseling strengths and weaknesses.
- Create templates for professional use pertaining to counseling techniques.
The Secrets of Exceptional Counselors, Author: Jeffrey A. Kottler, Publisher: American Counseling Association, www.counseling.org, Copyright 2018, ISBN: 9781556203787
- Can be purchased on Amazon.com
- Kindle ($47) & Paperback ($39.95) version
About The Instructor
Ms. Copenhaver earned her Masters degree in Counseling in 1990 and received her Bachelor of Science degree in Social Science, Concentration: Psychology in 1987 from the University of North Dakota. Joan has received many awards including the 2020 Distinguished Education Professionals Award, 2018 ND CTE Director's Award of Excellence in Career Development as well as the 2018 ND School Counselor Association's High School "Outstanding School Counselor" Award. Ms. Copenhaver has 32+ years teaching experience.
Online registration URL closes @ 5:00 p.m. on December 31, 2021.