Best Practices for Teaching Online
Instructor: Matthew Lonn
Monday, January 25, 2016 - Friday, May 06, 2016
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Available Seats: 25
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $50 + $50 registration fee payable to ND Center for Distance Education
This course provides an introduction to online teaching and allows the participants to obtain hands on experience from a student’s and instructor’s perspective. The participants will utilize web tools and a learning management system to explore the many features and benefits of an online course, as well as the responsibilities of an effective online instructor.
Upon completion of the course the participant will:
- Be able to apply effective online pedagogy to teaching an online course.
- Understand the various types of online learning including blended learning.
- Apply communication skills to relate to the online learner and digital natives.
- Appreciate the challenges of completing an online course from a student’s and instructor’s point of view.
- Be able to utilize a rubric to review course content.
- Utilize online tools to organize and complete tasks and apply various instructional techniques.
- Complete various types of online assessments from a student’s perspective.
REQUIRED STUDENT RESOURCES:
A computer with Internet access is required. The student must have an active, working email account.
About The Instructor
Matthew Lonn earned an M.S. in Education with an emphasis in Educational Leadership from Concordia University in St. Paul. His B.S. in Social and Behavioral Sciences- Teaching, with a minor in history, is awarded from the University of Mary in Bismarck. He is also credentialed as a North Dakota Principal. Matthew has over 10 years of experience in teaching high school. Currently he is the Assistance Director of Learning at the North Dakota Center for Distance Education in Fargo. Matthew has held several leadership positions throughout his career, including the social sciences department chair and athletic coaching.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.