Introduction to Move Mindfully
Instructor: Laura Sokolofsky
Saturday, September 28, 2019 - Sunday, September 29, 2019
Meet both days 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Carl Ben Eielson Middle School, Main Foyer, Fargo, ND
Academic Level: Non-Credit
NDSU DCE Flat Fee: $10
This workshop enables participants to deepen their understanding of the impact of trauma and stress on both educators and students. Using the latest in brain science research learn practical interventions to assist youth with self-regulation, focus, de-escalation, and community connection. Through hands-on learning, reflection and discussion participants will apply breathing exercises, simple regulated-movement, relaxation techniques and social/emotional skill development activities into the CASEL SEL Domains: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision-Making.
- Review neuroscience and examine the impact of trauma and stress on the nervous system
- Relate breathing, movement and mindfulness practices to the Social/Emotional/Learning Standards(CASEL)
- Practice breathing techniques, regulating movement and mindfulness activities for desired effect(focused, energized, connected, and present)
- Design trauma responsive sequences and interventions for 1:1, small and large group.
- Create sustainable practices for adult self-regulation
About The Instructor
Ms. Sokolofsky received her M.Ed. in Guidance & Counseling at North Dakota State University and her B.S. in Elementary Education from Moorhead State University. Laura was nominated by peers for the 2016 YWCA Woman of the Year in Education and received the 2012 ND Outstanding Counselor of the Year award. She has 19+ years counseling/teaching experience.
This class is for educators & counselors who teach within 1 hour or 75 mile radius from Fargo/Moorhead. This is approved for 1.5 CEU's.