NDSU Distance & Continuing Education (DCE)

Bringing Education to You

Student Resources

Student Complaints

U.S. Department of Education compliance:

What is state authorization?

On October 29, 2010, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) released new “program integrity” regulations.  One of the regulations focused on the need for institutions offering distance or correspondence education to acquire authorization from any state in which it "operates.”  This authorization is required to maintain eligibility for students of that state to receive federal financial aid. Institutions have until July 1, 2014, to have obtained the appropriate approvals. Meanwhile, institutions are required to demonstrate a 'good faith' effort to comply in each state in which it serves students. While the regulation has been 'vacated' by court order, we believe it will be reinstated.  However, state regulations predate the federal regulation and remain in effect. States with regulations expect that institutions already be in compliance with their regulations before serving any students in their state.

Institution's must also provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its state approval or licensing entity and any other relevant state official or agency that would appropriately handle a student's complaint. We hope our students and prospective students will never need to use this information but encourage students and prospective students to first use the following NDSU complaint procedures before seeking assistance from outside entities. 

Distance and Continuing Education at North Dakota State University (NDSU) not only offers the following information because it is a federal requirement but also because we believe in providing this information as a useful resource for our students.



NDSU is accredited as an institution by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Some programs that DCE offers may be accredited separately, follow this link for a list of those program accreditations.


State Authorization:

NDSU Distance and Continuing Education currently does not enroll students from the following states into an online program. 


If you have questions regarding NDSU's state authorization status in these states please contact Lisa Nordick, Director, at 701-231-8692 or by email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).


NDSU Distance and Continuing Education complaint procedures:

  1. Contact the office of Distance and Continuing Education
    Lisa Nordick, Director
    Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    Phone: 1-800-726-1724 or 701-231-8692
  2. Contact the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs
    Phone: 701-231-7131


Complaint procedures for each state:

To determine the student complaint process for a specific state, review the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) Student Complaint Information by State and Agency pdf.