These are some of the common questions we have received from students.  Please remember these questions and answers are meant to be general in nature.  If you have specific questions, please contact us or ask them during your prehearing conference.

If I violated the Code, what will happen to me?

If you are found responsible for violating the Code, you will most likely be given sanctions and/or conditions, which serve as consequences for your misconduct.  Sanctions include: Warnings, Conduct Probation (Unsupervised or Supervised), Suspension and Expulsion.  Conditions include, but are not limited to: Restitution, Loss of Privileges, Participation in a Specific Program, Educational Projects and Alcohol/Drug Assessments.

I don't agree with the decision made in my case.  What can I do?

If you are sanctioned for violations of the Code, you have the right to appeal the decision.  Appeals must be made within five business days following the date the notice is received by the student and must specify in detail one or more of the following bases of appeal:

  • The severity of the sanction was not consistent with the severity of the offense,
  • The finding of the Code having be violated was not substantiated by the evidence, and/or
  • The student's due process rights as outlined in this Code were violated, which materially or substantially impacted the decision.  Those rights believed to be violated must be specified.

Do I need to disclose my conduct record on school or employment applications?

Graduate schools, professional programs, and employers may request your conduct record. Sharing information up front may give you an opportunity to provide additional details or to answer questions. Omitting information that later appears on a background check may have worse consequences than open disclosure.

I want to file a complaint against a student. What do I do?

If you would like to report an allegation of misconduct, please contact our office. You will be connected with an appropriate staff member who will listen to your concern, explain the complaint resolution process, help review your options, and if necessary, assist you with filing a formal complaint.

What if I feel I am a victim in an incident?

If you believe you are a victim, please contact our office for assistance. If you feel your immediate safety is in jeopardy, contact the University Police ((701) 231-8998) or your local law enforcement by dialing 911.

Am I going to be suspended?

If your notice of alleged violations letter indicates that suspension/expulsion is a possible outcome, it is possible that you will be suspended/expelled. However, NDSU takes separation from the University very seriously and utilizes other sanctions and/or conditions whenever appropriate.

This matter is being settled or has already been settled in court, so why do I have to meet with NDSU?

Your meeting with an NDSU official is an educational proceeding and is separate from the consideration of any civil and/or criminal charges.  Because these are independent processes, NDSU may achieve a resolution concerning Code violations before, during, or after any civil and/or criminal proceedings.

Also, because there is a different standard of proof in the Code proceedings, it is possible that differing decisions may occur. Any questions that you have regarding the differences in these processes will be discussed during your prehearing conference.

Will my parents be notified?

Your parents will not be notified of your alleged policy violation(s), but may be notified after your hearing. The Parental Notification Policy allows parents or guardians of students under 21 to be contacted by NDSU Student Affairs or Residence Life following alcohol and/or drug related incidents.

Parents and Families

The following information is designed to provide you with information that can help you best support your student.

We recognize that students make mistakes. Through our process, we want students to learn where they could have made different decisions and offer strategies for making better choices in the future. We also want to help students understand their responsibilities as citizens and how the decisions they make now may impact their future.

NDSU student responsibilities are outlined within the Code. As citizens, actions typically carry consequences. This is not different at NDSU. When students are found responsible for violating policy, they may face sanctions and/or conditions. Sanctions and conditions may include warnings, conduct probation, educational classes, community service, evaluations, and even separation from NDSU. The intent of sanctions and/or conditions is to assist with learning, to provide an opportunity for reflection and growth, and to deter future policy violations.

See Parent and Family Member Frequently Asked Questions Below:

These are some of the common questions we have received from parents and family members. Please remember that the questions and answers are meant to be general in nature.

If my student is found responsible for violating policy, what will happen?

Our process allows for flexibility in determining the outcome in each case. Decisions are based upon information learned about the student, the circumstances and seriousness of the incident and the student's conduct history. We do not have set sanctions for each particular violation, but we do have typical outcomes that allow for a level of consistency and fairness. Sanctions are meant to hold students accountable, to be educational, and may also be used in interest of safety and security for the NDSU community.

I have a question about my student's conduct case, who can I talk to?

Our office can answer general questions about the complaint resolution process, but in order to speak with you about your student's specific conduct case, we will likely need to first obtain your student's permission to do so in writing. This is a requirement of a federal law known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Your student must initiate this permission and may do so by completing a release.

Will I be notified if my student violates policy?

It is not the practice of NDSU to notify parents when their student is involved in an incident; however, students are routinely encouraged to communicate with their parents and family during the hearing process. This is particularly true when a student is facing serious academic or financial implications.

Students found responsible for violating University alcohol and/or other drug policies while under the age of 21 are subject to the Parental Notification Policy.

My student has an appointment to meet about an alleged violation of the Code. What can I do to help?

It is to be expected that students and parents and/or family members may be anxious about the complaint resolution process. To address this anxiety, it is often helpful to become better informed about how our process works. You may review an overview of the process or read the Code.

You can best help your student by being a support person and encouraging your student to be honest within the process and to take responsibility for choices and actions. It is understandable that you may want to take a more active role, but it is important that each student is responsible for his or her own conduct.

Top of page