USING DIGITAL MEASURES
The training resources listed on this site are designed to apply to all NDSU faculty using Digital Measures. The screen shots may look slightly different based on system updates and/or college customizations applied.
- See Reports Step-by-Step Guides (with screen shots)
- Visit the Activity Insight User Guide:http://www.digitalmeasures.com/activity-insight/docs/guide.html
- Send your questions to ndsu.DM@ndsu.edu.
- See DM HELP SESSION PRESENTATION
Click on the drop-down menu list below to learn about the basics of using Digital Measures.
Link to the NDSU Digital Measures site is: https://www.digitalmeasures.com/login/ndsu/faculty. When you sign in just enter the first part of your NDSU email address and your password.
•Manage Activities: Add or update information about the activities you accomplish.
•Rapid Reports: Provides a quick way to see how the data will be presented
•Run Reports: Custom built reports or allows you to create your own reports.
•Help: Allows you to submit suggestions on how to improve the system, questions about use of the system, or report system errors.
•Notifications: Bell icon shows you notifications and messages from Digital Measures, including real-time information on new features and capabilities, as well as important system events like scheduled maintenance. You can find feature tips, ways you can reduce data entry, and quick takeaways.
Manage Activities: Main Menu
The Manage Activities Menu is broken into several screens. To access a screen, click its name. The resulting screen displays records that are stored for that screen. There are six possible actions you can take from the resulting screen, although not all of these actions will always be available:
- To add a new record, select the Add button.
- To import items in bulk, select the Import button (only for the Published Work screen)
- To delete a record, select the appropriate check box, and then select the Delete button.
- To view or edit a record, click on the record.
- To copy a record, select the Duplicate button.
Note: For records that you can view but not edit or delete, these have been added to the system for you and have been set as uneditable. If such records need revision, contact DM Administrator using the Help link.
Using the PasteBoard
PasteBoard is a tool that allows you to copy‐and‐paste data from other sources (i.e. MS Word, Excel, HTML or text files) into the DM data entry boxes. You can copy approximately 2,000 words at one time. To use the PasteBoard:
- Click on the PasteBoard tab on the toolbar in the bottom‐right corner of DM screen.
- Copy and paste the content from your original document into the PasteBoard window.
- Once your data has been put in the PasteBoard window, you can cut-and-paste it into DM data boxes.
If you navigate to other screens (or hide the Pasteboard window) within DM, the content will stay in the PasteBoard. The PasteBoard window is resizable and can be moved to another positon on the screen.
HELPFUL TIPS AND NOTES
How to Create - Custom Vita Report
See attached PDF: How to create - custom vita
Screens/fields not pre-populated have to be entered by faculty. Information from other sources can be copy and pasted to appropriate fields. It is also possible to import citations.
- Copy and pasting data from other sources: You can copy and paste data from other sources such as your CV. The best way to do this is to use PasteBoard. See above for instructions on how to use PasteBoard.
- Importing data from other sources: The Published Work screen allows you to import citations of your work that are stored in other places. Citation data must be first converted to a BibTex file.
NOTE: To sort or change the order of contributors, you will need to use the arrows.
KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER:
The first to create a record is the record owner and his or her last name in the far left drop-down list "People at North Dakopta State University"
NOTE: You CAN change or delete records linked to your account, despite the lock icon. If there is an error with the data in the record, anyone linked to it can go in and make changes.
- Faculty member A creates a record and tags A faculty member B, but faculty member B already created the record in their account, so now there is a duplicate.
- Faculty member B logs into their account and notices they have a duplicate.
See step-by-step instructions Change or Delete Linked Record
The reports rely on the dates entered for each activity record. Leaving dates blank for a record can result in that record being unexpectedly included or excluded on reports. Therefore, at least one significant date must be entered. See guide for Managing Dates.
- One day activities: should include an end date with no start date (e.g., End Date: 2015)
- For activities that started but have not yet completed: specify the start date and leave the end date blank.
- For activities that have definite start and end dates: specify the start date and the end date.
- To create a record that shows both start and end dates:
Enter the date the activity began in the “Start Date.”
Enter the date the activity ended in the “End Date.”
FACULTY REPORTS (Step-by-Step Guides)
For training and how to instructions, see the guides attached below.
Run Rapid Reports, see guide Run Rapid Reports (e.g., Annual Report, Vita)
- On the top-right corner, select Rapid Reports.
- To run a report, select the Report template from the drop down menu.
- Change the Start Date so that Digital Measures can assemble your data. This step is important. Select dates that apply to the report you are generating. For example, the Annual Faculty Activity Report covers only January 1-December 31 whereas tenure and promotions reports may need the Start Date to be six years or more.
- Select the File Format (e.g., Word, PDF, or HTML).
Candidates for promotion and/or tenure can use DM to create their portfolio. Before creating the portfolio/report make sure to enter your data to the “Promotion and Tenure” screen.
- Click on “Rapid Reports"
- Select “Promotion and Tenure Portfolio” from the drop-down list.
- Select the date range to use for the portfolio
- Select the file format as Microsoft Word.
- Select the page size as Letter.
- Click on “Run Report.” DM will create an MS Word file that you can edit.
See complete instructions, Run Promotion and Tenure Portfolio.
We want to make it as easy as possible to get this information into Activity Insight and reduce the time spent on manual data entry. We do this in two ways:
Other reference managers or databases such as EndNote, Google Scholar, Mendeley, RefWorks, Scopus, Web of Science and Zotero enable you to select publications and export them into a BibTeX file. You can then upload your BibTeX file in DM Import Publications screen so you don’t have to rekey those citations. Below you will find details on how to export publication information from a few common software systems into a BibTeX file.
- Navigate to Google Scholar. Enter your Google credentials to sign in.
Select “My Citations link at the top of the screen. If you are not yet logged in, enter your credentials to sign in. Upon signing in you should land on your profile page where you will see a list of your "articles."
If you would like to export only select articles to your BibTex file, choose these from your profile. If you would like to export all of your articles, simply click on the checkbox labeled “Title” which will select all of your articles.
Once you’ve made your selections select the Export option and choose BibTex as your file format. You will be redirected to a new page which will display the articles in simple text format. Right click anywhere on the page and select "Save Page As" from the drop down menu. This will convert your articles into BibTeX format.
- Next, you'll need to save it as a .bib file. For more information please see the Google Scholar help guide
Once you have a BibTex file of your citations, go to “Published Work” screen and click on “Import Items.”
See the Import Tool Guide:http://www.digitalmeasures.com/activity-insight/docs/directdataimports/
Example of BibTex File: Annette.Ruiz.Citations
Export from EndNote, PubMed, Zotero, and more
For complete instructions to export BibTeX files from the databases listed below, visit: https://www.digitalmeasures.com/activity-insight/docs/bibtex.html
- EndNote X6 (for MAC) or X7 (for Windows)
- EndNote Web
- Mendeley Desktop for Windows
- Web of Science
- Zotero Online
- Zotero Standalone
Customize Department/College Reports: Guide for Administrators