Students for whom alternate test accommodations have been recommended by Disability Services (DS) as a reasonable accommodation will use the procedures below.
Please Note: Students may request exam accommodations at any time; however, these accommodations will not be applied retroactively.
STEP 1 - REQUESTING ACCOMMODATIONS
New students should make an appointment with a DS staff person at the beginning of the semester to obtain the Exam Reservation Form(s).
Returning students may request forms by completing and submitting the Accommodations Request Form for RETURNING students found on our website. (Please schedule an appointment with your case manager if you are seeking changes to your approved accommodations.)
STEP 2 - EXAM RESERVATION FORMS
New students will receive the Exam Reservation Form(s) from their DS case worker.
Returning students will submit their request electronically. DS will prepare the Exam Reservation Form(s) and notify you by email when the forms are ready. Once you have received the email notification, you can stop by the office at any time to pick them up. There is no need for an appointment.
All Students shall schedule an appointment with the instructor to complete the Exam Reservation Form.
The instructor completes middle section of the Exam Reservation Form and is responsible for delivery and pick up of the exam. When presenting the form(s) to the instructor, discuss the following:
- Where the test will be administered, either in instructor's department or at DS
- The time allotted on the exam (NOT including student's extended time)
- How the completed exam is to be returned to the instructor
- What options are allowed on the exam (Open Book, Calculator, etc.)
Exams must be delivered to DS by 5 pm one working day prior to the exam date if no format changes are needed and two working days prior to the exam date if audio access or text enlarging is needed.
The student completes the bottom portion of the Exam Reservation Form, which includes instructor contact information and test dates and times for all exams for the semester, including the final exam. Arrangements need to be discussed for exams that conflict with other class times or are in the evening. DS proctors exams between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. week days only.
STEP 3 - RETURNING THE EXAM RESERVATION FORMS
The student will return completed Exam Reservation Form(s) to DS. Forms are required before testing accommodations will be provided. If the student is taking exams at DS, advance notice of 5 business days is needed in order to reserve an exam room. If the student cannot provide 5 business day notice, options may include the following:
- Negotiate with the instructor to take the exam with DS at a later date.
- Negotiate an alternative accommodation that can be provided within the department.
- Take the exam in the classroom without accommodations.
- If the student arrives 30 minutes or more to take the exam, the student may jeopardize the opportunity to take the exam. The instructor will make the determination if the student will be allowed to reschedule the exam at another time.
- Students who need to change or cancel a scheduled exam for any reason should notify DS as soon as possible. Students will need to contact the instructor to negotiate an alternative time to take the exam.
- DS requires notification from the instructor with approval of ANY changes made. If DS does not receive confirmation from the instructor, the student will not be permitted to test at that time.