REQUESTING RESIDENCE LIFE ACCOMMODATIONS
NDSU student living facilities are designed to extend the student’s educational experience beyond the classroom.
The learning and residential environments at NDSU provide students with an opportunity to enhance a variety of educational, cultural, social, and recreational activities. Residence Life offers a wide range of living environments, capable of catering to almost any need that a student may have.
When requesting Residence Life accommodations due to a disability at North Dakota State University (NDSU), Disability Services (DS) needs to determine whether there is a condition or combination of conditions that constitute a disability, and whether the disability causes limitations for which reasonable accommodation(s) are needed. Documentation will assist DS in understanding how the disability may have an impact in the residence halls and the current impact of the condition(s) as it relates to the housing request.
Disability Services – Steps to Request Residence Life Accommodations
Please note: Residence Life Accommodations can take up to 60 days after a request is made and documentation is submitted.
Step 1. Student completes: Residence Life Student Request Form
- Print, complete and email or mail to Disability Services
Step 2. Student requests Documentation from Treating Healthcare Provider
- General Requests
- Emotional Support Animal Requests*.
- Treating Healthcare Provider completes and emails, faxes or mails directly to Disability Services
Step 3. Review of Request – by Disability Services Staff
Step 4. Initial Meeting – Disability Service Staff and Student
- Student schedules an appointment to be conducted: in person, via Skype or other virtual means;
via telephone if other options are not available
Step 5. Determination made – Disability Services Staff
Step 6. Notification of Determination – Disability Services
- Student can expect electronic notification of determination within 60 days of submitting application
and provider documentation is received.
- Request approved - You will be contacted by Residence Life staff for next steps
- Request denied
- Student can reapply if information was incomplete
- Student can appeal the decision, complaint procedure found here
*Emotional Support Animal Requests
- Please be aware that documentation provided by online verification services and other providers with whom you do
not have an ongoing therapeutic relationship, will likely not be accepted.
- Also of note: there is NO state or federal entity that requires an emotional support animal to be registered.
Registering an animal with any entity is not proof of your animal’s eligibility nor helpful in getting a request
for an emotional support animal approved.
If you are considering requesting an emotional support animal, helpful information can be found here.