NDSU Community of Respect
NDSU's Community of Respect (COR) program offers seminars designed to improve inter-cultural competencies and provide hands-on strategies to assist participants in learning how to work more effectively with colleagues and students whose cultural backgrounds are different from their own.
The Community of Respect program was initially developed at Texas A&M University and is a nationally recognized diversity program designed to prepare people with greater cultural awareness and competence. COR is not limited to American versus international interactions; it deals with understanding intra-American cultural differences as well.
The objective of the Community of Respect seminar is to teach individual participants about cultural differences and to encourage them to think critically about the impact of their cultural values in their relationships with others. The curriculum consists of three modules with distinct learning outcomes outlined in each.
Module 1 is a self awareness learning experience that explores the fact that everyone has cultural values. The learning outcomes of Module 1 will lead participants to:
- Identify their own culture
- Be able to articulate how their culture differs from others
- Gain an understanding of how the values of their culture influence how they understand the behavior of others.
Module 2 introduces the participants to cross-cultural communication concepts and terminology that helps them gain an understanding of how individuals from various cultures communicate differently than those in the participants' own cultures. It explores how these concepts are factors in the misunderstandings that often occur in cross-cultural relations. (Cognitive and Intrapersonal Dimension of Intercultural Maturity) Learning outcomes for Module 2 include:
- Identifying at least three verbal communications elements that may differ across cultures
- Identifying at least three non verbal communications elements that may differ across cultures
- Identifying cross cultural components impacting communications processes
- Gain insight about culturally-based values and attitudes that infl uence behavior
Module 3 involves the application of knowledge and skills learned in Modules I and II, to real-life encounters in different contexts, by examining case studies and exercises on intercultural conflict.
For more information
For more information about upcoming Community of Respect workshops, or to schedule one for your department or organization, please contact Kara Gravley-Stack, Director of Diversity Initiatives, at Kara.Gravley-Stack@ndsu.edu