- Education: B.S. Construction Management, NDSU (2010)
- Home Department: Geosciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Adviser: Dr. Stephanie Day
Why I joined the ECS M.S. Program
I found the multi-disciplinary structure of ECS very attractive. I have been able to plan my classes according to my interest due to this flexibility. The division of tracts and sub-tracts has helped me in selecting the courses that I want to take to fulfill my learning objective. The Greenbag Seminars provide us with a platform to share and network with professionals as well as lean what our fellow graduate students are working on.
I am looking at the effect of freeze/thaw on bluff erosion in South Central Minnesota. Studies have indicated that erosion rates in this part of MN have increased in last 150 years. High erosion rate is a problem as it leads to loss of biodiversity due to turbidity in water and also threatens existing infrastructure. I selected sites based on the bluff’s aspect and degree of consolidation and deployed sensors measuring temperature, soil moisture, relative humidity and radiation during fall of 2013. I am using Terrestrial Laser Scanning (TLS) to measure the rate of change in those sites on a regular basis.
- Girish Uprety, Dr. Stephanie Day, Title: “Effect of Freeze/thaw on Bluff Erosion in South Central Minnesota” (Poster) presented at 5th Annual Upper Midwest Stream Restoration Symposium February 23-26, 2014, La Crosse, WI
- Girish Uprety, Dr. Stephanie Day, Title: “Effect of Freeze/thaw on Bluff Erosion in South Central Minnesota” (Poster) presented at ND EPSCoR/IDeA 2014 State Conference - April 29, 2014, Grand Forks, ND
- River Watch Forum-2014 (March 18th, 2014) University of Minnesota -Crookston, Presentation Title: "Reading the River" March 18, 2014, Crookston, MN
Awards and Honors
- Best Delegate Award - Environmental Committee, Arrowhead Model UN Conference 2014- University of Wisconsin - River Falls, April 4-6, 2014, River Falls, WI
- Voted best student poster, Title: “Effect of Freeze/thaw on Bluff Erosion in South Central Minnesota”, 5th Annual Upper Midwest Stream Restoration Symposium, February 23-26, 2014 , La Crosse, WI