Application Deadline: To be considered for admission and a teaching assistantship, completed applications must be received at the Graduate School by February 1.
ADMISSIONS ARE FOR FALL SEMESTER ONLY.
M.A. AND PH.D APPLICATION DEADLINES ARE FEBRUARY 1.
INFORMATION STATING OTHERWISE IS OUT OF DATE.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
All admission materials must be received and processed by the Graduate School before your file is forwarded to the department for review. Incomplete files will not be reviewed, and it is your responsibility to make sure all materials have been received by the Graduate School.
An official transcript(s) (grade report)
A $35 application fee
At least 3 letters of recommendation, ideally addressing your abilities as a student and your potential for graduate work
A writing sample that demonstrates your abilities as an academic writer, ideally an expository or analytical piece rather than poetry or fiction
A statement of purpose that includes the following:
- coursework you plan to complete in the program
- faculty members with whom you wish to study
- scholarship you plan to pursue
- a sense of what you hope to do once you have completed a graduate degree in English
- how your education and/or life experience have prepared you for graduate work
- A letter stating your interest in and qualifications for a teaching assistantship, if applicable
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores for International applicants
Interviews in person or via video software may also be used to evaluate applicants to our graduate program.
Once the department has reviewed the application and made a recommendation, the Graduate School reviews your file and admits or denies admission to a graduate program. You will be notified of the decision by letter at that time.
English Proficiency Requirements for International Applicants:
TOEFL ibT 100