English Majors and Minors
The Department of English intends that its students will form strong communication skills, establish research methods, develop flexibility in facing complex situations and increase their awareness of the humanities tradition. These ideas suit both the liberal arts major and the practical, pre-professional student. Success in the marketplace is tied to the ability to analyze, understand and restate written material. Such success requires habits of investigation, a fluency with documents and speeches, and the self-assurance to handle unfamiliar materials. Thus, in its offerings, the department serves the traditions of language and literature, while it responds to the needs of today's students.
By following the links below or the expanded links in the left-hand margin, you can learn more about being an English major, scholarships available to English majors, the English major portfolio, and English department policies.
- English Majors: BA or BS advising forms.
- English Education Majors: BA or BS advising forms.
- English Minors: Writing Studies or Literature advising forms.
- English Minor: Creative Writing advising forms.
- Departmental outcomes and goals for English Majors and Minors; or, what we hope our students will learn.
- Scholarships available for English Majors, including incoming students who declare English as a major.
- Departmental policies: attendance and academic honesty.
- What can I do with this Major? offers career ideas on where a degree in English can take a graduate
The NDSU Catalog
The 2011-2012 Undergraduate Bulletin (Catalog) is now available online at http://www.ndsu.edu/bulletin/. This fully online publication includes the most current and complete academic information and policies for the coming academic year. It also contains up-to-date program and course information and a directory of student services. Curriculum guides (major requirements) for each undergraduate and professional major and minor are linked as printable PDF documents in the respective college/department sections of the publication.