Content | Navigation |



The NDSU Writing Program

Incoming and transfer students must complete 12 credits of course work in General Education Category C, Communication. Nine of those credits are in English: English 110 (or 112); English 120 (or 122); and an upper division (300 or 400 level) writing course.

Students should consult the placement information at Bison Connection to determine where to begin their general education writing. Additional information may be found at the incoming student placement FAQ.

If you are a transfer student and have additional placement questions, please consult the transfer placement page

If you would like to officially challenge English 120, please consult the Challenging English 120 page to determine whether you are eligible and what you need to do. 

Students will not be able to register for an upper division writing course until they have achieved junior status (at least 60 credits). The English department will offer a number of specialized upper division writing courses, and some departments other than English will offer their own writing intensive courses designed for majors, but open to all students. 

  • If you are a student who wants to know which upper division writing course to take, please consult your department's curriculum guide and/or consult with your adviser when you are ready to take an upper division writing course.
  • Please consult this list of upper division writing courses if you wish to learn more about specific course offerings. 

If you have any questions about the NDSU Writing Program, please contact:

Dr. Lisa Arnold, Director of First-Year Writing (Minard 318 E52)
Dr. Bruce Maylath, Director of Upper Division Writing (Minard 318 E20)

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Site Managers: Kevin Brooks and Andrew Mara
Published by the NDSU Dept. of English

Last Updated: Saturday, December 10, 2016 12:25:54 PM
Privacy Statement