Pregnancy and Lactation
The following resources are available to NDSU faculty, staff, and students who are pregnant and parenting:
The Pregnant Scholar - This online toolkit addresses Title IX protections for University students, faculty, and administrators who are pregnant and parenting.
NDSU has the following lactation rooms, fitting the criteria included in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA - see below), available:
- Memorial Union - The Lactation Room on south side of Brostrom Lounge is a lockable space furnished with 2 comfortable chairs, lamp, and a sink.
- Hultz Hall - Room 241 - The Lactation Room is a converted single bathroom and there is a chair, sink, outlet, small ledge and the door locks from the inside.
- Minard Hall - Room 299L
- A. Glenn Hill Center - First Floor, Northeast corner - The Lactation Room is located near the first-floor restrooms
- Barry Hall - Room 199L
- Bentson/Bunker Fieldhouse - The Lactation Room is located on the first floor, next to the Gender Neutral Restroom
- Sanford Health Athletic Complex (SHAC) Room 1034 (Locker Room #1) - The Lactation Room is a private locker room that is a lockable space furnished with a comfortable chair, sink, outlet, and toilet. To utilize this space, please contact Maggie Duncan, Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations, at 701-318-3714 prior to your visit to the SHAC to receive information on how to obtain keys to the room.
To see these locations in map form, follow this link to the Facilities Management page: https://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/facilities/Gender_Neutral_Family_Lactation.pdf
Other Options for Lactation Space:
The following spaces offer privacy, access to electrical outlets, and comfortable seating, but might be located in single-occupancy restroom facilities:
- Hultz Hall Room 210 (located in a curtained-off area in a single-occupancy restroom)
- Wellness Center's Childcare Center - Available by appointment with priority to mothers with children in the Childcare Center. Call the front desk at 231-5203 to make an appointment. The lactation room is in a curtained -off space in the staff lounge.
NDSU Policy 213 - Rest Periods
This policy addresses rest periods available to University employees for the purposes of expressing breast milk. Employees are encouraged to work with their supervisors to ensure that appropriate arrangements are made in a timely manner.
The full policy can be found at: https://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/policy/213.pdf
Members of the NDSU campus community seeking support or information to assist them with their breastfeeding/pumping needs, to identify appropriate lactation space, or for other questions or concerns related to pregnancy and/or lactation can contact the Equity Office at 231-7708 or firstname.lastname@example.org.