CFS 758 Fundementals of Flour Testing and Baking
This course is designed to teach:
- Basics of flour testing, how to interpret data, fundamental concepts of the tests
- Science of baking, bakers math, function of ingredients
- Relationship between the ingredients and end-product quality
- Baking methods and industrial design
Course Purpose and Objectives
This course focuses on developing advanced knowledge of flour, dough and bread evaluation skills and helping students to gain hands-on experience. It highlights the "whys" of the baking process and provides a thorough understanding of ingredient formulations and interactions. Research projects will help to gain research perspective in addition to applied knowledge. 3 credits.
- Two 1-hour lectures per week.
- One baking laboratory per week (make sure to read your lab materials before you come).
- Lab reports after the lab. (The report should include introduction, materials and methods, results and discussion. Please submit the lab report in one week after the lab is completed.)
- 40% – Examination: 2 midterm (12% +12%) + 1 Comprehensive Final (16%)
- 30% – Laboratory Reports
- 20% – Research Project (lab experiment + report + presentation)
- 10% – Class/Lab Participation(attendance and participating in discussions!)