Content | Navigation |

Faculty Senate


University Curriculum Committee


The routine categories of curricular proposals are listed below:
  1. Proposals for new permanent courses
    These involve new permanent courses which are to be listed in the University Course Catalog. Typically these courses have been taught as temporary courses at least once and meet a demonstrated need. However, in special cases, a new permanent course may be added without having been taught as a temporary course. It is helpful to the approval process if these special circumstances are explained in an attachment to the New Course Proposal Request (via CourseLeaf) at the time of submission.

  2. Proposals for course changes
    This category covers changes in existing permanent courses, typically changes in course titles or credits. Minor title changes are considered editorial and need to be approved only by the college curriculum or academic affairs committee and the Senate University Curriculum Committee. Other more significant changes must also be approved by the Faculty Senate and signed by the Provost before implementation or changing of the University Course Catalog.

  3. Proposals for cross-listing courses
    This category is to request approval of an identical course to be offered under more than departmental/unit prefix. The proposal is to be submitted by the department(s) wishing to add this as a new course to their inventory. The rationale should clearly state why the cross-listing is essential. A letter supporting the cross-listing is needed from the "parent" department (department from which the existing or new course originated).

  4. Proposals for course deletions
    This category removes a course from the master catalog. This action is appropriate if a course has not been taught for a long period of time, is no longer required for a curriculum, or has been replaced by a new or modified course.

  5. Proposals for temporary or trial courses
    • Special Topics (199, 299, 399, 499, 596, 696, 796)
      This category includes new special topic courses to be offered only for a limited time or trial courses for which permanent numbers will eventually be sought. These courses are given the numbers 199, 299, 399, 499, 596, 696, or 796 depending on the level of course (dependent on the level of course material and student audience—see Course Descriptions page of the NDSU Bulletin). This type of course requires approval at the level of the college in which the course is to be taught. The completed form is then sent to the University Curriculum Committee and Graduate Council for information purposes. Individual colleges must set limits on the length of time for which a temporary course is approved (e.g., for 3 years, starting with the date of approval or with the first semester in which the course is taught). After that time period, the course must be either dropped or resubmitted, unless it has been approved as a permanent course (see number 1 above). These courses are not to be included in curricular requirements.

    • Temporary/Trial courses (791)
      These courses are temporary courses at the graduate level. Thus, this designation is used for courses expected to become permanent courses for graduate programs of study. They go through the approval process (including the Graduate Council) as if they were permanent courses. However, after being taught as a temporary course, they must be resubmitted to gain a permanent course number.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

NDSU Faculty Senate

Page Manager: Faculty Senate Secretary

Last Updated: Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:22:47 PM
Privacy Statement