GENERAL EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Academic Year 2015-2016
|Name||Representation Unit||Phone||Term Expires|
|Charlene Wolf-Hall||Office of the Provostfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ex-officio|
|Beth Twomey||NDSU Librariesemail@example.com||Ex-officio|
|Kay Hopkins||Professional Adviser Liaisonfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ex-officio|
|Marie Gordon||Registration & Recordsemail@example.com||Ex-officio|
|Larry Peterson||Director of Assessmentfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ex-officio|
|Marion Harris||Ag., Food Systems & Natural Resourcesemail@example.com||May 2020|
|Kevin Brooks||Arts, Humanities & Social Sciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2017|
|Joe Mike Jones||Businessemail@example.com||May 2018|
|David Wells||Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2017|
|Chengwen Sun||Health Professionsemail@example.com||May 2017|
|Justin Wageman||Human Development & Educationfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2016|
|Robert Gordon||Science & Mathematicsemail@example.com||May 2017|
|Rosalinda Connelley||Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org||May 2016|
|Aaron Vipond||Studentemail@example.com||May 2016|
Spring 2016 Committee Meeting Schedule
Meetings are scheduled every other Thursday at 11:00 in the Peace Garden Room of the Memorial Union (unless otherwise noted).
|January 28, 2016 (Peace Garden)|
|February 11, 2016 (Peace Garden)|
|February 25, 2016 (Room of Nations)|
|March 10, 2016 (Room of Nations)|
|March 24, 2016 (Peace Garden)|
|April 7, 2016 (Peace Garden)|
|April 21, 2016 (Peace Garden)|
|May 5, 2016 (Peace Garden)|
Fall 2015 Committee Meeting Schedule
Meetings are scheduled every other Wednesday at 2:00 in the Peace Garden Room of the Memorial Union (unless otherwise noted).
|September 2, 2015 (Peace Garden)||Minutes|
|September 16, 2015 (Mandan)||Minutes|
|October 7, 2015 (Peace Garden)||Minutes|
|October 21, 2015 (Peace Garden)||Minutes|
|November 4, 2015 (Mandan)||Minutes|
|November 18, 2015 (Peace Garden)||Minutes|
|December 2, 2015 (Peace Garden)||Minutes|
Faculty Senate Bylaws: Article IV, Section 10
- Voting membership shall consist of one tenured faculty member from each representation unit, a representative from the Assessment Committee, and two students selected by the Student Government.
- Non-voting members shall consist one representative from each of the following: the NDSU Library, Registration and Records, the professional advisers (at least 50% of load is advising), and the Provost (or designee). There is no term limit for non-voting members.
- Committee responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that existing courses and experiences meet general education requirements.
- Developing criteria and procedures for submitting, evaluating, and approving courses and experiences that meet general education requirements of NDSU and the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Developing criteria and procedures for submitting, evaluating, and approving courses or experiences that meet the general education requirements for integration into students’ curricula.
- Coordinating and recommending actions to the Faculty Senate on proposals for approving general education courses.
- Providing periodic assessment of students’ attainment of intended student outcomes in general education.
- Studying, coordinating, and recommending to the Faculty Senate policies and procedures for continuing improvement in general education.
- Selecting two representatives and one alternate for the North Dakota General Education Council.
General Education Program
The purpose of general education at NDSU is to ensure that students acquire knowledge, perspectives, and skills associated with a university education. The program is designed so that graduates will be able to adapt to and anticipate changes in their profession and in society. Graduates also will be able to integrate and use the knowledge and perspectives they have gained to live productive, intellectually rewarding, and meaningful lives.
- Core Undergraduate Learning Experience (CULE)
- Courses Approved for General Education Requirements
- General Education Proposals:
- Administrative Policies
- Forms for New Courses
- Outcomes and Rubrics
- Syllabi Requirements
- Upper Division Writing Requirements
- Guidelines: Incorporating Upper Division Writing in Program Curricula
- Flow Chart for Approving Writing Intensive General Education Courses
- NDSU Center for Writers
- Working Definitions and Essential Considerations for Existing General Education Categories