Distance Education Students
Online 1-on-1 Sessions
The most effective way to work with a consultant on your writing is to do so face-to-face. It is much easier to communicate and work through a document, especially a long and complex one, in person.
However, distance students can work with our consultants using Blackboard Collaborate, a pretty straight-forward tool that allows for audio, video, and document sharing. Typically, when audio/visual connection has been made, the writer will share access to the document online so that both writer and consultant can work on it as they discuss it.
- When you want to schedule a session, email your availability to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week (but preferably more) in advance, listing as many available hours as you can.
- Make sure that your computer has microphone and speakers. A headset is best since it eliminates problems like feedback and interference.
- Read the attached INSTRUCTIONS.
Tips for Online Sessions
- BE PATIENT. Online sessions are slower than face-to-face sessions; it's best to set your expectations accordingly.
- Test all your equipment well ahead of time.
- Test accessing Blackboard before your session (you may have to load or update software, which can take time).
- Make sure you have our phone number on hand: (701) 231-5264.
- Make sure you have an electronic version of your document. If it is a big document (e.g., a dissertation), consider saving sections separately; it is easier to navigate smaller documents when document-sharing online.
- Remember to speak slowly and clearly.
- When you and the consultant are looking at the document, the consultant will not see you, so remember to use verbal cues