Donald P. Schwert
Professor & Chair of Geosciences
Geosciences Hall 201
P.O. Box 6050
North Dakota State University
Fargo, ND 58108-6050, USA
Telephone: (701) 231-7496 Fax: (701) 231-5924
My Vita (updated Sept. 16, 2013)
I have diverse research interests, which range from reconstruction of late Quaternary climates to the development of tools for enhancing earth science education. My faculty home in the Department of Geosciences at NDSU is a small, close-knit group of faculty and students who share a field-oriented program of geologic training.
My personal interests include playing classical piano (favored is music from the early 20th century), family history, and geologic travel.
I find the worldwide web to be a fantastic opportunity for geologic outreach to the state . . and to the world. Below are some web sites that I either actively maintain or in whose development I participate. Your comments are most welcome.
LINKS TO MY PUBLIC OUTREACH SITES:
- Geology of the Fargo Region - Comprehensive urban geology web site.
- Geology in North Dakota - Comprehensive links and images on the geology of my state.
- Fargo Flood Home Page - Links, maps, and information on the Red River of the North.
- 3D North Dakota! - Imagery of North Dakota, enhanced with use of 3D red/blue glasses.
- Stockwood Fill - The amazing story of the failure of a railroad grade near Fargo, 1906-1909. Lots of great photos!
LINKS TO MY RESEARCH SITES:
- WWWIC - World Wide Web Instructional Committee - An ad hoc group of cool NDSU faculty dedicated to the development of educational software that utilizes internet-based delivery systems.
- Geology Explorer Project - The Geology Explorer is an educational game intended to teach the concepts and principles of Physical Geology.
LINKS TO MY FAMILY HISTORY HOMEPAGES:
- Schwert Family - Genealogical information on the offspring of Carl and Veronica (née Modrzejewska) Schwertfeger / Schwert. This lineage is derived from the region of Lagschau, Kladau, and Gardschau in northern West Prussia.
- Photographien: Familien Malsch und Hecht - Photographs, mostly unidentified, of my ancestors from the region of Staffort, Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg.