History and Mission
The Department of Geosciences at NDSU was formed in 1991 from the merger of the Departments of Geology and Geography in the Colleges of Science and Mathematics and Humanities and Social Sciences, respectively.
Both disciplines have a long history of of teaching and research at NDSU. Geology has been taught since 1890 when it was specified in the Century Code as a subject for which practical instruction would be provided at the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) (Century Code: Chapter 15-12-02). In 1890, Geography was included in the curriculum of the Academy of NDAC and has been part of the NDAC\NDSU curriculum since 1927.
The Department of Geosciences through its teaching, research, and service, provides the State, the University, and regional community it serves with the most current views in geology and geography interpreted through examples with a strong regional emphasis.
The teaching program provides undergraduate and graduate level courses that are used by students to meet requirements in degree programs in agriculture, environmental science, life sciences, engineering and architecture, and the humanities and social sciences.
The undergraduate major, emphasizing field and laboratory studies, prepares students for positions in industry, government agencies, and secondary education, and for graduate programs in geology and geography. Faculty in the Department of Geosciences advise graduate students in the Environmental and Conservation Sciences Graduate Program, or in other programs as appropriate.
The basic and applied research programs of the Department's faculty augment the teaching program and provide information about geologically recent events and processes. Service to the community is provided by disseminating geological and geographical information to members of the public and the news media, and through visits to area schools.