Content | Navigation |

Graduate School


Before You Apply

What is required to complete my Degree-seeking application?

  • Complete the Application Creation Form
  • Complete and submit the application
  • Pay the $35 non-refundable application fee
  • Online letters of recommendation (most programs require 3)
  • Official transcripts from each college or university where you have been enrolled or are currently enrolled (applicants are responsible for requesting these)
  • Test scores (if required by the program)
  • Any additional departmental requirements.

Additional requirements for International Students

  • Documentation of academic-level English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic)
  • Copy of diploma or degree certificate

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes! You may apply to as many programs as you wish. Please create a new application with a separate e-mail address and pay the $35 application fee for each program.

If I am applying to more than one program, do I have to send everything again?

We will use your previous documents as long as it is within one year of your last submitted application. If it has been more than one year, you will need to re-submit all of the required documents.

How long will my transcript(s) be kept on file?

We keep all official transcripts for 6 months.

How long will you keep my test scores (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS) on file?

TOEFL and IELTS will be kept on file for 2 years.

GRE and GMAT will be kept on file for 5 years.

When is the application deadline?

Deadlines vary by programs. Before starting your application, please check your academic program’s deadline and required materials. All application materials should be submitted before the deadline to be considered for the term you are applying for.

What are “official transcripts” and “official test scores”?

Official transcripts are transcripts/mark sheets sent to the Graduate School in a stamped and sealed envelope by the issuing institution (e.g. Controller of Examinations, Registrar’s office). Transcripts that have been opened or tampered with will not be accepted. Official test scores are those sent from the issuing organization (e.g. Educational Testing Services).

Does NDSU really need all of my transcripts?

Yes. You are required to send one official copy from all of the colleges and universities that you’ve attended, including undergraduate and graduate coursework. If you have graduated from a college or university outside of the US or Canada, you must include a scanned or faxed copy of your diploma or degree certificate. All documents must be in English or have an English translation attached.

Where do I send my materials?

Using the United States Postal Service (USPS) send them to:
NDSU Graduate School
Dept. 2820
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108

Using a courier (DHL, FedEX, UPS, etc.) send them to:
NDSU Graduate School
106 Putnam Hall
1349 12th Ave NW
Fargo, ND 58102

Are there additional (other) specific program admission requirements?

Some programs require additional information (letters of recommendation, short papers). Please contact the department and review individual departmental sections.

How do I apply for financial assistance?

Some departments require an actual application form or letter of application for an assistantship. Other departments award assistantships based upon the application only. Please check the program information pages for details. Loans are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

How much is the tuition for the NDSU Graduate School?

Tuition and fees for the current term are available on the Bison Connection website.

What is the process for the letters of recommendation?

All letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the online application process. The Graduate School does not accept paper copies of recommendation letters.

Can I request recommendations before I submit my application?

You can send the online request to your recommenders at any time during the application process. The recommendation process remains accessible after you’ve submitted your application. You are able to add, remove or re-notify recommenders. Please be sure you are using the correct e-mail address for your recommenders.

Who should recommend me?

It is highly recommended that you ask former/current professors, supervisors or a professional who knows you well and can accurately reflect on your ability as a student. Letters from family members, friends, housemates, or co-workers are unacceptable.

If I submit materials online do I have to submit a paper copy?

You do not have to submit a paper copy of your statement of purpose, resume or vitae, or any papers you upload to your online application.

Processing Your Application

What is the admission process?

When all official documents have been received by the Graduate school office, your complete application will be sent to the department for review. Once in the department for review, it can vary by department on the length of time that your application is under review. Most departments take approximately 4-6 weeks.

An admission recommendation will be made at the program level and will be returned to the Graduate School for a final review. An e-mail will be sent to you informing you that a decision has been made. At that time, you may log into your application and view your electronic letter.

How do I check the status of my application?

You may log into your online application at any time to check the status of your application.

How do I add, change a program, or make a correction after submitting my application?

To determine if a change can be made, e-mail NDSU Graduate School at with your request.

Can I change the term that I originally applied for?

If your file is not complete and is less than one year old, our office is able to change your term.

After You Are Admitted

Financial documents and I-20’s for International students

Please send all required financial documents to the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services. I-20’s cannot be requested until you have submitted all required financial documents and have accepted admission.

If I decide not to attend NDSU the semester which I was admitted, how long is my admission valid?
Your admission is valid for one year. If you plan to delay enrollment, you must complete the Request to Delay Enrollment form. The term to enter can be delayed only one time. After one year, you will have to re-apply to the Graduate School.

How do I get my e-mail address and ID card?

To set up your electronic services, such as email, review this link. Information about how to obtain an ID card may be found at Bison Connection.

The transcript I sent during the application doesn’t have a degree posted. When do I submit my final transcript?

You will be required to submit a final transcript once the degree from the institution that you’ve attended has been posted. A hold is placed on your ability to register for classes until it is received.

When is orientation and when do classes begin?

Information will be emailed to admitted students about orientation a few months prior to the start of the semester. To find out when classes begin check the academic calendar.

Can I transfer credits from another institution?

A program may allow you to transfer up to 9 credits for a master’s program or up to 12 for a doctoral program. Doctoral course work which is transferred does not reduce the total requirement of 60 NDSU credits for students with a master’s degree in the same discipline. Credits are not transferred until the Plan of Study is submitted to and approved by the Graduate School.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

NDSU Graduate School
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7033
Campus address:  106 Putnam Hall
Physical/delivery address:  NDSU Graduate School/106 Putnam Hall/1349 12th Avenue Northwest/Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address:  NDSU Dept. 2820/PO Box 6050/Fargo, ND 58108
Page manager: NDSU Graduate School

Last Updated: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:55:54 PM
Privacy Statement