Content | Navigation |

Graduate School


Before You Apply

What is required to complete my degree-seeking application?

  • Complete the Application Creation Form  
  • Complete and submit the application
  • Pay the $35 non-refundable application fee
  • Online letters of recommendation (most programs require 3)
  • Official transcripts from each college or university where you have been enrolled or are currently enrolled (applicants are responsible for requesting these)
  • Test scores (if required by the program)
  • Check with your intended program for any additional or more specific requirements.


Additional requirements for students whose first language is not English and/or who have foreign transcripts:

  • Documentation of academic-level English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic)
  • Copy of diploma or degree certificate

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes.  You may apply to as many programs as you wish.  However, you must create a new application with a separate e-mail address and pay the $35 application fee for each program.

If I apply to more than one program, do I have to send everything again?

We will use your previous documents as long as it is within one year of your last submitted application. If it has been more than one year, you will need to re-submit all of the required documents.

How long will my transcript(s) be kept on file?

We keep all official transcripts for six (6) months.

How long will test scores (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS) be kept on file?

GRE and GMAT will be kept on file for five (5) years.

TOEFL and IELTS will be kept on file for two (2) years.

When is the application deadline?

Deadlines vary by program. Before starting your application, please check your academic program of interest for information on application deadlines and required materials. All application materials should be submitted before the deadline in order to be considered for admission for your intended term.

What are "official transcripts" and "official test scores?"

Official transcripts are transcripts that are sent to the Graduate School in a stamped and sealed envelope by the issuing institution (e.g. Controller of Examinations or Registrar). Transcripts that have been opened or tampered with will not be accepted. Official test scores are those sent directly from the issuing organization (e.g. Education Testing Services).

For domestic documents, click here and reference the "Transcripts" and "Test Scores" tabs for more information.

For foreign documents, click here and reference the "Transcripts (Statement of Marks)" and "Test Scores" tabs for more information.

Does NDSU need all of my transcripts?

Yes. You are required to send one official copy from all of the colleges and universities that you’ve attended, including undergraduate and graduate coursework. If you have graduated from a college or university outside of the U.S. or Canada, you must include a scanned or faxed copy of your diploma or degree certificate. All documents must be in English or have an English translation attached.

Where do I send my materials?

Mailing Address (if using postal service):
NDSU Graduate School
NDSU Dept. 2820
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108

Delivery Address (for courier deliveries):
NDSU Graduate School
106 Putnam Hall
1349 12th Avenue NW
Fargo, ND 58102

Do certain programs have additional admission requirements?

Some programs require additional materials (e.g. writing sample, proof of licensure, etc.). Please contact your intended program(s) directly for more information.

How do I apply for financial assistance?

Many departments award graduate assistantships based upon the application for admission. Other departments may require a separate application form or letter of application in order to be considered for an assistantship. Federal loans are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

How much is tuition for the NDSU Graduate School?

Tuition and fee information for the current term is available on the One Stop website.

What is the process to send letters of recommendation?

All letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically through the online application process. We do not accept recommendation letters by paper, fax, or email. If received in any of these formats, they will be discarded.

Can I request recommendations before I submit my application?

Yes. You can send the online request to your recommenders at any time during the application process. The recommendation process remains accessible after you've submitted your application. You are able to add, remove or re-notify recommenders. Please be sure to list the correct email address for your recommenders.

Who should recommend me?

It is highly recommended that you ask former/current professors, supervisors, or professionals who know you well and can accurately reflect on your academic abilities. Letters from family members, friends, housemates, or co-workers are unacceptable.

If I submit materials online, do I also have to submit a paper copy?

No. You do not have to submit a paper copy of your statement of purpose, resume/vitae, or any other documents that you have uploaded to your online application.

Processing Your Application

What is the admission process?

Once all official documents have been received by the Graduate School, your complete application file will be sent to the department for review. The timeline required for the application review process can vary significantly by department. Many departments take approximately 4-6 weeks after the stated application deadline, but some can take longer.

An admission recommendation will be made at the program level and will be returned to the Graduate School for a final review. An email will be sent to you informing you that a decision has been made. At that time, you may log into your application to view your decision letter electronically.

How do I check the status of my application?

You may log into your online application at any time to check the status.

How do I make changes to my application after it's been submitted?

If you need to make changes to your application (e.g. change your program, make a correction), email the NDSU Graduate School at with you request, and we will determine whether or not the change can be made.

Can I change my intended term to enter?

If your application file is not yet complete and is less than one year old, we should be able to update your term to enter. Email your request to

After You Are Admitted

How do I activate my email account and get my student ID card?

To set up your electronic services, such as your student email account, follow the directions listed here.

Information on how to obtain your student ID card can be found on the NDSU Card Center web page.

Can I delay my enrollment to a future term?

Your admission is valid for one year. If you plan to delay enrollment, you must complete the Request to Delay Enrollment form. The term to enter cxan be delayed only one time. After one year, you would have to re-apply to the Graduate School.

If I'm an international student, where do I submit financial documents and request an I-20?

Send all required financial documentation to the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services. I-20s cannot be requested until you have submitted all required financial documents and have accepted admission.

When is orientation and when do classes begin?

You are strongly encouraged to attend New Graduate Student Orientation, hosted by the Graduate School. This is typically held the first day of the first week of classes.

Additionally, international students are required to attend New International Student Orientation, hosted by the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services. This is typically a two-day event, held the week prior to the first week of classes.

Information regarding orientation session(s) will be sent to you via email prior to the start of the semester.

To find out when classes begin, check the academic calendar.

Can I transfer credits from another institution?

A program may allow you to transfer up to 10 credits to a master's degree program or up to 12 credits for a doctoral program. Doctoral course work that is transferred does not reduce the total requirement of 60 NDSU credits for students with a master's degree in the same discipline. Credits will not be transferred until the Plan of Study is submitted to and approved by the Graduate School.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

NDSU Graduate School
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7033
Campus address:  106 Putnam Hall
Physical/delivery address:  NDSU Graduate School/106 Putnam Hall/1349 12th Avenue/Fargo, ND 58102
Mailing address:  NDSU Dept. 2820/PO Box 6050/Fargo, ND 58108
Page manager: NDSU Graduate School

Last Updated: Friday, July 13, 2018 12:23:11 PM
Privacy Statement