1901 The North Dakota Agricultural College Board of Trustees vote to establish a School of Pharmacy under the Department of Chemistry.
1902 The new school offers a four-year degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and a two-year course in practical pharmacy. Five students are enrolled in the two programs.
1919 The School of Pharmacy becomes a separate entity from the Department of Chemistry. W.F. Sudro, professor of pharmacology, is named head of the school.
1923 The school is elected to the American Conference of Pharmaceutical Faculties, which consists of the nation's most highly ranked pharmaceutical institutions.
1932 The four-year curriculum is adopted as sole course of study.
1940 The School of Pharmacy is accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education.
1946 A graduate degree in pharmaceutical chemistry is established.
1950 Four departments are created: pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacognosy, pharmacology and pharmacy. Six years later, pharmacy administration is added.
1960 The School of Pharmacy, originally housed in the chemistry building and Francis Hall, moves into the newly built Sudro Hall. The program adopts the five-year curriculum mandatory for all pharmacy programs in the United States.
1969 An associate degree in nursing is added to the school. The two-year program is phased out in 1987. NDSU and Concordia College, Moorhead, agree to create a four-year baccalaureate degree using the Tri-College Consortium.
1987 The college begins the Native American Pharmacy Program to address the severe shortage of Native American pharmacists.
1990 A six-year entry-level doctor of pharmacy program is implemented. The college also now offers a two-year post-baccalaureate PharmD Program.
2000 NDSU's new Concept Pharmacy is deemed a unique and innovative breakthrough in pharmacy education by Walgreens Scripting Success, a national newsletter.
2001 The college receives a federal grant to develop a statewide telepharmacy program to save rural pharmacies from closing and receives, in cooperation with the Department of Chemistry, an $8.2 million NIH grant to establish a Center for Biomedical Research Excellence.
2002 The College of Pharmacy observes its 100th anniversary, which includes a dedication ceremony for a new Walgreens Wing addition to Sudro Hall.
2004 School of Nursing begins an online blended LPN to BSN program, later ranked as one of the top in the U.S.
2005 School of Nursing begins a doctor of nursing practice degree program, the third program of its kind in the U.S., and the first program of its kind in North Dakota.
2012 NDSU’s Master of Public Health program begins offering both on-campus and distance education options that reach students throughout the country, with specializations in American Indian Public Health, Community Health Sciences and Management of Infectious Diseases.
2014 NDSU acquires the Sanford College of Nursing (SCON) on June 30, 2014. SCON is owned, operated, and managed by NDSU and named NDSU Nursing at Sanford Health, further contributing to health care professions workforce development and fulfilling the university’s land grant mission.
NDSU establishes the American Indian Public Health Resource Center to work with partners to improve health conditions in American Indian communities. It is made possible through a grant from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and a contribution by the North Dakota Higher Education Challenge Fund.
2015 NDSU’s College of Pharmacy, Nursing and Allied Sciences changes its name to the College of Health Professions to recognize the full scope of its academic mission. The ND State Board of High Education approves the change on March 26, 2015.
2016 Through National Institutes of Health funding, the Pharmaceutical Sciences Department in the College establishes a Center for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Strategies for Pancreatic Cancer—the first disease-specific research center at NDSU.
School of Nursing begins online blended RN to BSN program, ranked as one of the top in the U.S. by 2018.
2017 NDSU Allied Sciences Department and Sanford Health partner to provide only accredited diagnostic medical sonography program in North Dakota.
2018 College of Health Professions breaks ground on construction of a $28 million privately funded, 74,000-square-foot, six-story addition that will accommodate collaborative learning, expand the college’s research capabilities and help meet the region’s growing need for health care professionals.
NDSU announces that the new addition to Sudro Hall will be named Aldevron Tower, after a worldwide company started by Michael Chambers and John Ballantyne, NDSU graduates in pharmaceutical sciences and biotechnology, whose initial start-up business began in an NDSU lab.
NDSU School of Pharmacy introduces a nationally-recognized ONE Rx program, a statewide partnership for Opioid and Naloxone Education to help prevent opioid misuse and accidental overdose from the time a patient picks up their first prescription from their local pharmacy.
2019 College of Health Professions offers new Health Services degree to help fulfill demand in health care professions workforce.
New food safety degree specialization offered by the Public Health Department in the College of Health Professions.
2020 The six-story, 74,000 sq. ft. Aldevron Tower addition to Sudro Hall opens to students. It provides collaborative learning spaces, expands research and service capabilities and helps meet the region’s growing healthcare workforce needs. It is the largest privately funded academic facility on NDSU’s campus. All of the college’s programs previously spread over four buildings are housed in Sudro Hall and Aldevron Tower, bringing together the next frontier of experiential learning and team-based healthcare for future generations of students and researchers.
NDSU Public Health Department adds epidemiology specialization to current programs that include infectious diseases, community health sciences, dual degrees, accelerated degrees, a public health certificate program, undergraduate minor in public health, and options for American Indian Public Health within the program tracks.
NDSU School of Pharmacy offers streamlined admissions pathways including: Early Admission Pathway for qualified high school students; Traditional Pathway for those seeking this option; Post-Baccalaureate Pathway for qualified students with STEM degrees; and Pharmacy Technician Pathway for technicians seeking a PharmD degree.
An unprecedented global COVID-19 pandemic changes the way education is delivered with a mix of online, in-person and hybrid learning. During the pandemic’s peak, essential personnel remain on campus while many faculty and staff deliver services to students remotely.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Health Professions students and faculty assist NDSU, the community and state with public health expertise. Trained Health Professions students volunteer to assist local and state health departments with contact tracing, testing, assisting students in quarantine, and administering vaccines to health care workers and those designated first priority by state and federal officials.
Health Professions faculty provide expertise to state and local policy makers and hold virtual public health seminars about infectious disease and vaccine facts during the pandemic.
Trained Health Professions students in pharmacy and nursing continue to help administer COVID-19 vaccines in Fargo, Bismarck and surrounding communities, supervised by faculty preceptors.
NDSU is the first North Dakota higher education institution to offer on-campus COVID-19 vaccinations to the NDSU community in collaboration with Sanford Health. NDSU Health Professions students in nursing and pharmacy, along with faculty preceptors, help administer vaccines to campus members who wish to be vaccinated.
In consultation with local and state authorities and federal guidelines, NDSU’s campus continues its transition from remote and in-person learning, to full in-classroom instruction by fall 2021.
- 1996-Present Charles D. Peterson
- 1987-1995 Harry Rosenberg
- 1981-1986 G. Joseph Norwood
- 1973-1980 Phillip N. Haakenson
- 1971-1972 Dale E. Wurster
- 1957-1970 Clifton E. Miller
- 1919-1955 William F. Sudro