The Master of Athletic Training (MATrg) Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athetlic Training Education (CAATE). This professional program offers two unique options for degree completion. Didactic courses and clinical education focus on prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries resulting from physical activity. The MATrg program prepares students to successfully fulfill the Board of Certification (BOC), Inc. requirements and earn the “ATC” credential. A conferred Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required for this program.
Option 1: Five year program
- This unique option allows students to complete a combined Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science with the Master in Athletic Training degree in five years.
- During years 1-3 students follow the NDSU Exercise Science guidelines and curriculum.**
- Students apply to the MATrg program through the NDSU Graduate School spring semester of the third year (typically Junior standing).
- Accepted students begin the MATrg program in July.
- During year 4 students complete both Exercise Science and MATrg courses. The Exercise Science degree is awarded in August.
- During year 5 students complete MATrg courses. Upon successful completion of all program and Graduate School requirements, the MATrg degree is awarded in May.
- This program is recommended for entering freshmen, student-athletes and transfer students interested in earning an athletic training degree at NDSU.
** Transfer students and students who change majors must follow the Exercise Science policies and curriculum. This may extend the time line for program completion.
Option 2: Two year program
Students who have a conferred Bachelor’s degree in a related field will follow Option 2.
- Students apply to the MATrg program through the NDSU Graduate School in the spring.
- Accepted students begin the program in July.
- Years 1 and 2 students follow the MATrg Plan of Study for Option 2
- Upon success complete of all program and Graduate School requirements, the MATrg degree is be awarded in May.
Academic Requirements, Application Process, Graduation Completion Requirements, Retention Requirements, Transfer Students, and Course Descriptions are the same for both options. For additional information please click on the link.