Benefited Employee: In an approved and regularly funded position, working 20 or more hours per week, working 20 or more weeks per year.
Full-time ACA Temporary Employee: Working 30 or more hours per week or 130 hours per month or 1,560 hours per year. Includes any employee that is reasonably expected to work 30 hours per week for a month, variable hour employee, and does not meet the seasonal definition.
Seasonal Employee: Working 6 months or less for a designated season and does not meet the 1,560 hours rule in the look back period. (cannot be a split season)
This only includes health insurance, not other benefits, i.e. retirement, life insurance, etc.
Hours employees work for another NDUS Institution or North Dakota State Agency count towards ACA eligibility.
WHO IS COVERED BY ACA:
- Work Study Students (federally funded): Are excluded from any count of work hours (H14 earnings code)
- Non-Work Study Students: Are included in the counting of hours for ACA
- Temporary Employees: Are included in the counting of hours for ACA
- Resident Assistants: Are included in the counting of hours for ACA
- Part-Time Academics (PTAs): Are included in the counting of hours for ACA. 2.67 hours of work for each classroom hour taught. This includes time for related tasks such as class preparation, grading and office hours. (See job code table and Calculations Sheet)
- Graduate Students: Are included in the counting of hours for the ACA
Per Graduate School Bulletin: A full-time assistantship consists of 20 hours/week. Graduate assistants on full assistantships are not allowed to work on a second assistantship, as part-time instructors, as student workers, or in any other capacity for NDSU while working as a graduate assistant.
- Graduate Assistant (Research & Service): Count hours worked.
- Graduate Assistant (Teaching): Use same formula as PTAs. (See job code table and Calculations Sheet)
- DCE employees/payments: Are included in the counting of hours for ACA. Use same formula as PTA.
- Summer School: Are included in the counting of hours for ACA. Use same formula as PTA.
- Part-time Athletic Coaches: Are included in the counting of hours for ACA, overnight hours and travel counted
COST OF ACA INSURANCE:
- Single Premium: $98.88 (monthly - employee rate), $587.82 (monthly - employer rate)
- Family Premium: $1068.20 (monthly - employee rate), $587.82 (monthly - employer rate)
PROCESS FOR DETERMINING ELIGIBILITY
- Initial look-back period was 12-months - 11/1/2013 through 10/31/2014. Eligibility for insurance was determined by analyzing hours worked and credits taught. Moving forward, the period of November 1 to October 31 of each year will be analyzed to determine eligibility for the ACA insurance for variable hour employees with coverage being effective the following January 1.
- Offers of insurance were extended in late November 2014 with an effective date of coverage of 01/01/2015.
- Effective 01/01/2015, all new hires that are reasonably expected to work 30 or more hours per week with no definitive end date and do not meet the definition of seasonal must be offered coverage at time of hire. If elected, coverage would begin the first of the month following their hire date.
PENALTY FOR NON-COMPLIANCE
- $2,000 times the total number of FTEs of NDUS & ND State Agency employees
- $3,000 per employee that meets the ACA full-time criteria and qualifies for a credit on the healthcare marketplace
All information is subject to change