Suggested procedures for retiring employees who wish to draw monthly benefits from NDPERS.
At least six (6) months prior to retirement:
- Request a benefit estimate from the NDPERS office. Complete and submit a "NDPERS Request for Benefit Information SFN 53603" or view through NDPERS on-line services.
- retirement and health credit options and amount of benefits
- date pension payment begins
- direct deposit policy of pension check
- taxes on pension benefit
- Review completion of:
- any service credit purchases
- unused sick leave purchases
- Review participation in NDPERS:
- health insurance plan/retiree health insurance
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- long-term care plan
- Review continuation of term life insurance (if applicable)
- Review return to work provisions
- Have realistic plans for day-to-day living in retirement
- Review what your financial needs will be after retirement. Be sure to consider your long-range financial requirements.
Three (3) months prior to retirement, register with your Social Security office (if you are 62 or older)
Sixty (60) days prior to retirement date:
- Submit the completed "Retirement Forms"
- Indicate whether or not you will be purchasing sick leave for service credit on your retirement application
- Submit photocopy of birth record with application (if married, submit copy of spouse's birth record and marriage certificate)
- Check with your payroll office on accrued vacation and sick leave pay available.