NDSU requires all employees to complete several training courses annually. Additionally, employees who supervise others or work with specialty equipment or hazardous materials are required to take additional training courses related to their position responsibilities. These courses are provided by departments throughout NDSU. Lists of the training courses required by the University can be accessed from the links below. Additionally, employees and supervisors can use NDSU's Track Training application to review training compliance.
Training for specialty areas (supervisors, hazardous materials/equipment, etc. )
Track Training (requires login to view training completions)
Training Offered by Human Resources and Payroll
Human Resources and Payroll offers several specialized trainings in a wide variety of topics of broad interest to all NDSU employees including leadership and usage of the Peoplesoft/HRMS module. Click on one of the areas below for more information on some of the available topics.
In addition to the programs indicated, specific departmental needs can be addressed and programs can be developed based on availability of resources.
Periodic sessions are held to update Human Resources and Payroll users of new laws, policies, processes, procedures, implementations/upgrades, and other items of interest.
2018 topics included:
- Telecommuting and Remote Worksite Process
- Reduction-In-Force Process
- Hiring Temporary and Student Employees
- Tax Updates 2018-2019
- HRMS Oracle/PeopleSoft Upgrade
- Changes to Change Form 101
- Online Performance Management Process
- Leave Process
Manager Self-Service (MSS) is now available in the PeopleSoft HRMS module. MSS is a module in PeopleSoft HRMS for electronic Work Flow of employee information. Work Flow will streamline the way employee information is managed in HRMS by ensuring accurate date, initiating and tracking approvals, and limiting mistakes that can be made with manual data entry. Currently, MSS may be used for online termination and hiring of all benefited and non-benefited employees (timeslips, student timeslips, grad assistants and part-time academic staff) instead of the routing of a paper Change form 101 or Hiring form 100.
More information can be found by reviewing the Manager Self-Service Training Manual.
Training is required to obtain access for Manager Self-Service. You may attend one of the in-person training sessions conducted by Human Resources and Payroll or you may complete the Manager Self-Service Online Training.
New Staff Employee Orientation
A day long session held quarterly for all new staff employees. At that time, there is a Welcome by President Bresciani and a campus bus tour. Other topics covered include organizational structure, NDSU history, policies and procedures, university governance, computer usage and campus climate.
Online Employment System
Training is offered three times a year and by request.
At a glance, this paperless system allows:
- Departments to create Job Requisitions/Requests to Recruit online.
- Approved Hiring Managers to submit a job requisition directly to the Offices of Human Resources and Payroll, Office of the Provost/Academic Affairs or Equity, Diversity & Global Outreach for review, approval and posting.
- Applicants to submit their materials online; access job information via a secure Web account; receive an email confirmation from the system when their application is received and if they are not selected for a position.
- Applicant materials are distributed electronically to Hiring Managers and Search Committees for their review
- Hiring Managers can track search results.
- Offices of Human Resources and Payroll, Office of the Provost/Academic Affairs, and Equity, Diversity & Global Outreach have recruitment oversight - to track the status of all recruitments on campus using a variety of standard reports and queries
- Departments to create Requests to Offer online.
PeopleSoft HRMS Module
Training is offered every 6 weeks.
Defining information about departmental positions
Job information, including salary, regarding departmental employees
Departmental employee leave balances
Review the department’s position budget
Review the account codes for salary and benefits expenditures used by the department
Review employee’s additional pay
Review name and address information about departmental employees
View employee emergency contact information
Actuals Distribution Report - funding sources/accounts for salary/fringe expenses
Leave Accrual - leave earned, taken and balances for department employees
Payroll Register (Proof) - review payroll prior to the final calculation
Position Funding Summary - By position, account & earnings codes, budget amount, total FTE
Find each employee’s identification number (EmplID)
View job information, including position number(s), supervisor, location, job family, FTE
Enter leave data
Enter hours worked for timeslip employees
Enter other earnings, such as overtime hours for salaried non-exempt staff
Academic Affairs Department Heads and/or Administrative support staff only
View tenure data
Training is offered twice a year.
Building an Environment for Success
Responsibility Review as a Performance Development Tool
How to Participate in the Responsibility Review Process
Searching for Excellence - Training for Administrative Staff Providing Support for Search Committees
Training is offered three times a year in-person and is also available online at Administrative Search Support.
Training focuses on the specific role that administrative support personnel play in a search and aims to clarify the process itself and underscore the contributions that these staff members make to the search outcome.
Searching for Excellence - Training for Search Committee Members
Training is offered three times a year in-person and is also available online at Search Committee Training.
This training is designed for those on committees searching to fill a variety of positions including:
- officers of the institution (0000 band)
- athletic coaches, and Extension agents/area specialists. Research Extension Center personnel such as research scientists and experiment station specialists (2000 band positions other than faculty and lecturers)
- professional staff (3000 band)
2019 Valleyfair Tickets
Discounted 2019 Valleyfair tickets are now available to benefited NDSU employees through Human Resources and Payroll. Please see their 2019 operating calendar online at www.Valleyfair.com for their...
Red River Valley Fair Tickets
The NDSU Human Resources and Payroll office now has 2019 Red River Valley Fair tickets available for purchase. Only cash or checks (made payable to RRVF) will be accepted. No refunds.
Mega Ride Pass...