Content | Navigation |

OFF-Campus Employment

Academic Training for J-1 Students

International students in J-1 immigration status are eligible for study-related employment under Academic Training. J-1 students normally are able to be authorized for up to 18 months for this type of employment. The length of time allowed depends on the length of the program of study. For example, an undergraduate exchange student who was here for 9 months would be eligible for approximately 8-8.5 months of academic training time total. Doctoral degree students, however, are able to receive up to 36 months if they have a postdoctoral position, but it will be authorized one year at a time. Before beginning academic training employment, a J-1 student must obtain work authorization in advance from the designated "responsible officer." A responsible officer is a person on-campus designated to handle the J-1 exchange visitor program. Please note beginning employment prior to receiving authorization on your SEVIS DS-2019 is a violation of J-1 status and will result in the end of your J-1 program and your departure from the United States.

Non-degree and Degree-seeking J-1 students are eligible for academic training during studies or after completion of program. Most students choose to do academic training upon completion of their studies, as this would allow for additional flexibility with the number of work hours that can be performed and it allows for additional time to remain in the U.S. to gain experience pursuing academic-related employment after studies are over. However, students may choose to complete academic training during their studies as well. Please note during the academic year, if you are still enrolled completing your program, you are limited to 20 hours per week except during official school breaks (Winter, Spring and Summer Break). After completion of your program, more than 20 hours is allowed, regardless of time of year.

To obtain authorization, a J-1 student must submit to the responsible officer a job offer related to the student's field of study and a completed Application for Academic Training form. This form is available here or from your international student advisor in the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services (ISSAS), Memorial Union 116.

Please note: Students on J-1 Academic Training are required by the U.S. Department of State and NDSU to continue to have the NDSU health insurance for the duration of the training program, including the 30 day grace period at the end. If you are conducting your academic training after your studies area done, you will be required to show official financial documentation as part of the application, showing you have the funds available for the duration of your academic training assignment (including housing, meals, and health insurance).

IMPORTANT: Please note that some J-1 students are not eligible for academic training due to the terms of their sponsorship. Any student unsure of the requirements and rules established by their sponsor should contact their international student advisor in the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services to discuss eligibility.

To top

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services
North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7895 - Fax: +1 (701) 231-1014
Campus address: Memorial Union 116
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave / Memorial Union 116, Fargo, ND  58102
Page manager: International Student and Study Abroad Services

Last Updated: Monday, December 21, 2015 2:17:49 PM