Content | Navigation |

On Campus Employment

International students in F-1 status are eligible to work on-campus without prior authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). On-campus employment includes assistantships and other work on campus that is not considered work study. However, students are limited to 20 hours of work per week except for summer, winter break and spring break vacation periods during which time they are eligible to work up to 40 hours per week.

A work week is considered as Sunday at 12:00 a.m. to Saturday at 11:59 p.m. Please keep this in mind when your hours are scheduled.

It is very important to only work 20 hours or less per week during the academic year.  Please note that working more than 20 hours per week during the academic year (except winter and spring break) will result in termination of your F-1 record resulting in your required departure from the United States.  If a violation occurs, we are notified by the NDSU Human Resources and Payroll Office.  At that time, you will be contacted and asked to meet with your international student advisor about your options.

A Note for Graduate Students

Many graduate students have assistantships during the academic year that are 20 hours per week, therefore, making them ineligible for additional work on-campus. However, if a graduate student has an assistantship that is 10 hours of work per week, then he/she is eligible for an additional 10 hours of work.

Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services
North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7895 - Fax: +1 (701) 231-1014
Campus address: Memorial Union 116
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave / Memorial Union 116, Fargo, ND  58102
Page manager: International Student and Study Abroad Services

Last Updated: Friday, November 20, 2015 3:49:48 PM