Content | Navigation |

Taking a Leave of Absence from NDSU

International students in F-1 or J-1 status should not take a leave of absence or withdraw from NDSU without first consulting with their international student advisor about the consequences of this action. Students cannot remain in the United States while taking a leave of absence or a semester off. Students taking a semester off or more must spend this time outside of the United States.  (Please note: this does not apply to the summer term)

Procedure for requesting a leave of absence from NDSU:

  1. Read, sign, and submit the Leave of Absence request form to the Office of International Programs. Your international student advisor will be in contact with you. Please read the statement at the end of the form carefully so that you understand what effect your absence has on your I-20 and visa. If your return is not scheduled for a set date in the future, please be aware that your international student advisor may ask you to contact the OIP again when you are more sure about your return, so that more can be discussed at that time since regulations do change.
  2. If you have already registered for the term in which you will be absent, cancel your registration or withdraw to zero from NDSU. Please see the Forms page on the Bison Connection website for more information.
  3. Visit with other offices on campus where necessary so that they are kept informed of the fact you will no longer be an NDSU student. For example - if you have on-campus housing, speak with Residence Life; and if you are working on-campus, speak with the department or office in which you are working so they can notify Payroll. If you are an IELP (Intensive English Language Program) student, please speak with Carol Bishop, the IELP Program Coordinator.
  4. Begin making arrangements to depart the United States within 2 weeks. Federal immigration regulations allow for a 15-day grace period after an authorized withdrawal. Staying longer than the 15 days allowed can jeopardize your immigration status. If you have F-2 dependents, they are not permitted to remain in the U.S. during this time and must leave with you.
  5. Your international student advisor will email you to say that your form has been processed. Your SEVIS record will be terminated to show that you have requested an authorized early withdrawal from NDSU. You must also stop any employment on- or off-campus. 
  6. GRADUATE STUDENTS: You must also speak with your department and formally request a leave of absence from the Graduate School.

Returning to NDSU

In order to return to NDSU, you must complete necessary steps with Bison Connection or the Graduate School to request to return to NDSU. Please click here for more information.



Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services
North Dakota State University
Phone: +1 (701) 231-7895 - Fax: +1 (701) 231-1014
Campus address: Memorial Union 116
Physical/delivery address: 1401 Administration Ave / Memorial Union 116, Fargo, ND  58102
Page manager: International Student and Study Abroad Services

Last Updated: Monday, December 21, 2015 2:11:35 PM
Privacy Statement