Statement of International Student Responsibilities
As an international student in the USA, you have accepted more obligations and responsibilities than your U.S. counterparts. It is very important to understand all of your government's regulations, as well as United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations here in the United States, remembering that it is solely your responsibility as an F-1 or J-1 student to maintain your immigration status.
You are expected to:
- Keep your address up to date. Notify the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services (ISSAS), NDSU (in Campus Connection), and your sponsor of your correct address. If you are in J-1 status, you must also notify your sponsor of your correct address. USCIS requires that addresses be current and must be updated within 10 days of moving.
- Maintain valid student status in the United States. Your passport, I-20 (or DS-2019), and Form I-94 must always remain up-to-date, and not expire. You must be enrolled as a full-time student at all times.
- Request all documents in a timely manner. Request any documents you may need early enough so that they will be prepared for you at the time you need them. This time period could vary between one week (for something like an I-20 signature) to six months for something as complicated as a change of status or reinstatement. If you are a sponsored student, please allow enough time to contact your sponsor ahead of time for financial matters. There is no same day processing.
- Do not work without authorization. Off-campus work is strictly prohibited without prior authorization. If you are a J-1 student and wish to work on-campus, you must first consult with your international student advisor prior to beginning any on-campus work.
- Notify the ISSAS office regarding changes to your I-20 or DS-2019. You must notify ISSAS of any and all changes to your scholarship, assistantship or funding, including I-20 or DS-2019 expiration date changes and approvals for change of field of study. If you are a J-1 student and wish to work on-campus, you must first consult with your international student advisor prior to beginning any on-campus work.
- Follow Office of International Student and Study Abroad office policies, including advising and appointment schedules for international student advising.
- Visit the ISSAS Website for up-to-date Immigration and Employment Information. The OIP website includes a large amount of information related to your immigration status and employment opportunities while you are here at NDSU, and we strive to keep this information current and add useful information as necessary.
Immigration Forms and Resources for F-1 students
Please click below for Immigration Forms and Procedures related to F-1 students:
- Statement of International Student Responsibilities
- Bringing Dependents
- Change of Status to/from F-1
- Did you change your major?
- Graduation and Beyond
- I-20 Extensions
- Leave of Absence
- Maintaining your Status: Credits
- Reduced Course Loads
- Reinstatement to F-1 Status
- Requesting OIP letters
- Social Security Cards & Drivers License
- Transferring to Another School
- Travelling Home and Entering the U.S.
- Updating your Address
BACK to the main Immigration page.